Top Shelf Aquatics

snails that eat hair algae

Clayton07

What snail will eat hair algae?

I have ass. snails and turbo snails but they really dont eat the hair algae. any suggestions?

seahorsejl

My turbos ignored my hair algae for the longest time, then one day they started mowing it down. Not sure what changed their mind. Now, not a single strand.

I'm in the same boat - hair algae like mad. I had the tank cycling with live rock for 4 weeks and mistakenly left my light on as if I had corals in there. I could pull the hair algae out by the fist.

Friday I added a cleanup crew.. 12 astraea snails, 12 blue legged hermits, and 12 red legged hermits. Not much was happening.. so I went to the LFS and got 6 big turbos (which he said I can return to him) and they've cut the algae down by about 60% now.

Anyone need turbos? I'll have to get rid of them soon. 6 turbos in a 24g is a bit of overkill... haha

Alexraptor

most algae eating snails will eat HA, but the catch is the HA has to be short, if it gets too long they wont touch it.

Scott Riemer
Anyone need turbos? I'll have to get rid of them soon. 6 turbos in a 24g is a bit of overkill... haha

Where you at? I could use a few.

My trochus snails haven't touched it.

I have 2 turbos and for the longest time they didn't go near the ha and I physically out them where the algea was most at and now two days later nothing

• 2 weeks later...
I added a lettuce nudibranch and 2 days later no algae anywhere in my tank.

Wont they attack your Coral too?

vike50brian

Ive seen my fighting conch eat every bit of HA he can reach. Every time I add new live rock, I leave it on the sand for a month or so, so he can reach what ever algae appears. So IMO a fighting conch is a must have for appropriately sized tanks. Mine is in a 24g nano-cube and seems to be happy.

Archived