ReefCleaners.org

Large worm sighted

82SC

I have a 6gal nano tank with a 10 gal sump and a protein skimmer. (the refug has a sand burrowing star, grape and feather calupera some snails)

I have:

Bubble coral

Toadstool

Hammer

Frogspawn

Marble star

Bubble-tip anemone

Maroon clown

Blue shrooms

Maxima clam

Flower polyps

Deco crab

Peppermint shrimp

Fridmani Dotty back (which is hiding)

sun polyps

handful of different snails to clean

and recently saw a 8 inch bristle worm!!!!

I added 6 13W PC lights...there is some debate going on about the safety of the lights which I plan to rectify

the maxima is doing great...and the sun polys have blossomed

I plan to let the tank run for about a month and if all is well I may add a few starter SPS...and maybe get rid of some of the LPS

MJ

Can you get a closer picture? Does it look shiney and segmented like a centipede? Does it have thicker spikes, rather than fluffy tufts of bristles? Does it have 4 or 5 antenae coming out of it face? I had a 7 inch one and ate 2 of my fish. If it looks like what I described above, I don't think it is your run-of-the-mill bristle worm. Keep a very close eye on it at least.

last night I saw it picking through the sand...

and it does look kinda shiney...

I know which rock it live in...

I did have a frog fish die mysteriously once...it wasn't eaten, just dead for no reason....hmmmm

I had a fish die mysteriously, and then I got a new fish and I found it being eaten in the morning. I did some reading and found that they will sometimes take fish in their sleep.

Another person on this forum said they caught one holding onto his live clownfish, and when he scared it, it let the fish go and it was fine afterward. :|

Looks like peanut worm to me. Does it look like a snake or a centipede? If looks smooth like snake then its peanut, if it has legs like centipede then its bristle. Both good for tank!

Oh I have probably something similar.. I'm still not sure of it.. here are a few shots I managed to catch...

You can see the difference between the bristle worm (pinkish orange) and the worm in question (just below the BW to the right) just coming out of it's burrow

worm1.jpg

He's further out of his burrow in this one:

worm2.jpg

Looking for food:

worm3.jpg

A bit clearer, you can see the antenae and some of the bluish-gray band just behind the head:

worm4.jpg

He's WAY strong... but I haven't noticed any attacks on inverts or fish except possibly a strombus snail...

yep that is what mine looks like...down to the antenna....

hmmm...I haven't noticed any losses...we'll see I guess

MJ

hi guys:

I had a bad one. It is orange like and white legs. I did not manage to take a picture. Coz I killed it.

I just saw my colt coral shrunk. Looks like it is drying up. Its truck is getting thinner and dried and it looks like is sucked dried and suddenly bent totally bent. All happened in 1-2 hours. I flip the rock and found the worm. Can bristle worm suck dry a colt coral?

well.. keep in mind there are differences between beneficial bristle worms and fireworms (of the bristle worm family)...

Archived