Cultivated Reef

WTB: ASM Mini or needle-wheel Octopus

Caesar777

Anyone with a used, CHEAP ASM Mini or Octopus needle wheel, hit me up. I ddin't like the Remora Pro--not worth the $$, really overrated--and obviously, while I didn't expect much out of the Knop and figured I didn't want heavy skimming, I changed my mind and I do.

Would love one of those Deltec hang-ons, but I realize the cost kind of screws me. :rolleyes: SO ASM or Octopus (*needle wheel* only) are my options.

Not really interested in much else--tiny sump, small budget, and nothing but a needle wheel (and not something crappy like a Coralife unless it's like 20 or 30 bucks).

Thanks NR!

Details on your NW-150?

Tunze = expensive

The tunze nano skimmer is 130$ I believe.

Octo nw-150 (uses OR2000 I believe)

Mesh mod (3 layers enkamat)

Removed 1 layer of the needle wheel

DIY super venturi (original was restricting air/water i can include it if needed)

Ported plumbing on the pump

5 angle rounding on all the sharp corners on the pump volute

Gatevalve

Enlarged breather holes on the lid

I've owned it less then six months, and theres no crack or even scratches that I've seen. I think i've only been running it about 4 months.

i'd like to get 120$ for it. The skimmer should be capable of a stocked 150-200g tank(i had it on about 40g total volume). 9x10" foot print + 22" tall.

The proof is in the pudding. Pun intended.

DSC02440.jpg

reefer4sho - Accord86 already sold his to a friend, I think around $70-80 with all mods. The latter friend already knows that he sucks. ;)

Fridmani - New = $118. Looking to get more than just a few bucks off. (And after shipping, the same.) Realistic price is more like $50.

Maeda - Let me think about it. Also, does the cup really fill?--because my little venturi Knop skimmer gets gunk like that, but only fills like you see, with maybe a few mm of gunk within the cup itself.

Maeda - Let me think about it. Also, does the cup really fill?--because my little venturi Knop skimmer gets gunk like that, but only fills like you see, with maybe a few mm of gunk within the cup itself.

Think about it. I'm still thinking on a new tunze 9010(and going into the poor house).

A LOT of gunk gets stuck in the neck, the cup fills up about halfway with what looks like coffee with cream in it, but you have to have a clean neck and dirty tank, otherwise its full of dark tea(not opaque), and solid gunk on the neck.

Look at the aquatraders.com skimmers. RC has a large thread on them and they work very well it seems. ps75 is like $30 and the ps165 is $60

Are they venturi? I don't do straight venturi; needle-wheel only. (I'm a skimmer snob, I know. With no funds to back it up, lol.)

Are they venturi? I don't do straight venturi; needle-wheel only. (I'm a skimmer snob, I know. With no funds to back it up, lol.)

No they're needlewheel. I think most people do the mesh mod on them but from what i've seen, they really perform excellent for the low price.

Hmm. Will look into it.

Found an ASM Mini for $45 shipped from Dave. :) Thanks all!

• 3 weeks later...
Found an ASM Mini for $45 shipped from Dave. :) Thanks all!

I realize this thread is a little old but you should look into the mesh mod for the mini. I have one and over time I'm not really impressed with the bubble density so I'm going to try the meshmod on the stock pump or possibly upgrade pumps and meshmod that one.

Thanks for the tip - In fact, I have looked into that, and have some Enkamat ready. :)

Archived