Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Emerald crab died.

Pacifique

It seems that every time I dose my tank with Kent Marine Tech-I (iodine supplement) and invert in my tank dies.

Last week my fire shrimp died while molting, and this morning I found my crab dead on the side of a rock.

As far as I know nothing in my tank has come in contact with copper. And yesterday I did a 20% wc, then I dosed with the iodine supplement.

My tank is a two month-old 10 gallon, with about 11 pounds of live rock.

I don't have anything to test calcium levels. Nitrite and ammonia are reading at 0, ph is 8.2 and there are trace levels of nitrate. I ditched the bio-wheel two days ago, so I'll see if the nitrate levels start to decline as a result.

It's possible these things happen, but I haven't seen my crab moult since I got him almost two months ago, and now he's dead.

What could be the possible explanations?

stop dosing iodine ... that stuff can have some serious side effects in a reef tank .. even though it can be benficial there is no real way to measure the concentration still in the tank .. imo stop using it

stop dosing iodine ... that stuff can have some serious side effects in a reef tank .. even though it can be benficial there is no real way to measure the concentration still in the tank .. imo stop using it

^^ Why are you dosing it in the first place? Especially in a 10g (i assume by your sig)?

My tank is a 10g.

I read that Xenia can benefit from iodine supplement. And it helps inverts with the moulting process.

I followed the directions and added 2ml once a week, and yesterday was the third dose out of a series of 4 doses in 4 weeks.

Is it not necessary to dose iodine in a 10 gallon tank?

Then I will most certainly stop using it.

Is there anything I should be adding to the water in terms of supplements?

When I do a wc, or if I'm toping off, I treat the water with prime.

Off topic, but if/when I start to keep sps corals, will I need kent marine a&b?

you don't need to add anything to the water as long as you do weekly water changes .. and from your other thread you have power compact lights .. imo not enough for sps ...

you can add seachem prime ..

you shouldn't need to just test the ph of the water before you do a water change ... and if the salt has not brought it up then you may need to add some

Archived