inTank Media Baskets

Blue Tang in a 55G?

murphy_5

What do you guys think would a Blue Tang be ok in a 55G tank with a Royal gramma, Ocellaris Clown, Carpenter's Wrasse? Every site I go to says at least a 75G tank. I know the footprints are the same the 75 is a little taller and wider, but would it be ok...I don't want the Tang police after me!!! lol

I don't want the Tang police after me!!! lol

Worry about the fish and not the tang "police"

Blue Tang - Paracanthurus hepatus

Also known as: Palette Surgeonfish, Hepatus Tang, "Hippo" Tang, Blue (Hippo), Pacific Blue, Yellow-tail Blue, Regal, Palette, Hippo Tang

Maximum Size: the Paracanthurus hepatus grows up to 14 inches.

General Size Specifications: The small size will come to you generally 1 to 2 inches; the medium generally 3 to 4 inches; the large generally 5 to 6 inches.

Minimum Tank Size: The Blue Tang prefers a tank of at least 100 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim.

Diet: The Paracanthurus hepatus is a herbivore and likes to eat Prefers meaty diet to 'supposed' algal died. Feed mysid shrimp and other meaty treats but include Spirulina, Romaine Lettuce (blanched) , and fresh seaweed..

Level of Care: The Blue Tang is a high maintenance fish.

Behavior: The Blue Tang may act peacefully toward other fish.

Hardiness: This is not a hardy fish. Requires large swimming spaces.

Water Conditions: Keep water quality high (SG 1.020 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4, Temp. 72 - 78° F).

Range: Indo-Pacific.

General Notes: Blue Tang, Paracanthurus hepatus is an planktivore during the Juvenile stage, and Omnivorous in the adult stage. Often sought after by aquarists because of it's appealing coloration and popularity, this fish can be a challenge to keep for even the most experienced aquarists. Blue tangs are prone to easily contracting ich and is very susceptible to lateral line and fine erosion - especially when kept in smaller aquariums. Even the smallest sizes of the Blue Hippo Tang require large amounts of swimming space and should be in a tank no less than 100 gallons as tiny juveniles due to their need to swim in the open. Shy upon induction to your tank, provide branching corals or other shelter sites. Will school as juveniles and tend to be much hardier when kept this way, they will grow to fight with other adult blue tangs. Will grow to 14 inches and live up to 10 years or more.

Worry about the fish and not the tang "police"

I am worried about the fish hence research and asking questions, what site did you get that info from? Is there any Tangs that would work, maybe something that doesn't get as big? Sorry just asking some questions to experianced Tang keepers

What about a Yellow Tang? I have heard a lot of people keeping those in a 55G If it can't be done then it can't be done. Thgis is my first venture into Large Tanks so I'm sorry for the questions.

I have a very happy scopas tang in a 55. He eats very well and is very healthy. I know a few people that have blue tangs in 55's that are happy and health (they also have very small blues). Gives you a reason to get a bigger tank ;)

info came from marinedepotlive.com one of the few stores that have accurate tank size requirements. Any book that isn't 10+ years old will tell you the same info.

info came from marinedepotlive.com one of the few stores that have accurate tank size requirements. Any book that isn't 10+ years old will tell you the same info.

Thank you for that info I look on Liveaquaria.com most of there info I feel is correct...the reason I'm asking is I want to have a good research system...you know cross reference everything instead of google searches all the time. I would love to have a Blue Caribbean Tang.

TankFabricator

My best advice to you is, Before you start worrying about any rules or the tang police, think about the next few years. This hobby is addicting and you never know how many and what kind of tanks you'll end up with over the years. And it's also true that many people, after time, give up this hobby, and the reasons are various such as relocation for work, or spouse is scared your eel, or it just simply becomes too expensive. Once you've decided which directions the future may lead you, then its time to decide on a large fish such as a tang...... Ok, her it goes... well rules tell you this...... blue tang-100g, yellow tang-75g, etc...... What they don't tell you is that a 2inch blue tang does better in 20L where its feeding and health can be constantly monitered versus placing the little guy in a 100g tank to forever be lost behind the rock wall or to have to compete for food against many more inhabitants. This little tang however will grow and need a larger tank. SO, If you find a tang of the appropriate size, and you will certainly be dedicated to making sure it will not be cramped or homeless, then you might want to try caring for a tang in your tank. Don't forget to make sure enviromental conditions of your tank are also appropriate (tank mates, swimming space, ph,etc). I hope I was helpful.

-Evan

TankFabricator

I'd also like to add that you should alslo question what you want your fish to be doing and how you want them behaving. I personally am not even a fan of keeping large fish in tanks. Often I see tanks withlarge fish that just swim back and forth across the front glass all day. It doesn't look like much fun for the fish either, and i simply just don't get it. Now on the other hand, a large tank full of many small fish(especially those that live in the LR) is almost like observing nature as they are often displaying their natural behavior. Every fish has their place and its up to everyone to give their fish their place.

-Evan

I'd also like to add that you should alslo question what you want your fish to be doing and how you want them behaving. I personally am not even a fan of keeping large fish in tanks. Often I see tanks withlarge fish that just swim back and forth across the front glass all day. It doesn't look like much fun for the fish either, and i simply just don't get it. Now on the other hand, a large tank full of many small fish(especially those that live in the LR) is almost like observing nature as they are often displaying their natural behavior. Every fish has their place and its up to everyone to give their fish their place.

-Evan

Yes I agree with this, thats why I have a Royal Gramma now he is always swimming in and out of the holes sometimes he just watches from his own little hole. I would like something that swims a little more actively...I would love to have a flameback or a Cherub angel but I want to put a clam and lots of LPS once my lights come in so I'm worried about that. I have heard that Wrasse's have a great personality that is why I'm looking at a carpenter's Wrasse. One other fish I would like is a yellow headed Jawfish. I made one side of the sand deeper just for this reason :) That is about all of my stocking list right there? Do you have any suggestions on anything else or if something won't work? I have had 2 tanks before a 12G naocube and a 29G bowfront, so I can totally agree with the addicting nature of this hobby. Larger tanks are a lot more interesting to me now, as for upgrading this is the largest footprint I was able to buy so that is why I have a 55G instead of a 60'' tank like a 120 or so. So I can't really upgrade unless I move again and that is not happening again lol.

It all depend on how big the initial tang is and how long you plan on keeping it in said aquarium. If you bought a 3" blue tang than it could reside in a 55g for several years.

' date='May 23 2007, 05:00 AM' post='1161900']

It all depend on how big the initial tang is and how long you plan on keeping it in said aquarium. If you bought a 3" blue tang than it could reside in a 55g for several years.

Well after a lot of research I have decided that a Yellow Tang or a Kole Tang would be a better purchase for me and the fish's sake...I'll do a bit more research on both of these and see if it will fit into my plans.

it depends on the size and the rate it grows i guess. Im planning to get a tang in my 20 gal. haha. But my LFS sells them at about 2.5 inches so its small anyways.

[Ok I have decided to get a small yellow tank no more than 2-3 inches in size. I feel from my research and from what other people have told me should be fine.

• 3 weeks later...

at my LFS they have hippos (babies) at 1in

they are the cutest things ive ever seen

i was planning on a75

but i dont think im gonna get a hippo because pppl say it will get too big

Archived