inTank Media Baskets

macro algae in main tank

robertmun

Okay, so what is a good, decorative macro for the main tank that will not harm corals, won't overtake the tank and will aid in nutrient export?

Liq:

That's what I thought. Halimeda is what I have read is better for nutrient export INside the tank. As many Nano's do not have a Refugium, I think it would be great choice. If one is growing SPS, LPS and clams one would have to dose with a bit of Clacium anyway, and you could always add a bit more. If you are growing the high Calcium corals, they are also most likley the High light corals as well. High light and caulerpa don't mix in a nano unless you enjoy "mowing the lawn" almost every day. I like the way Halimeda looks as well.

FooGoo:

Do you feel that halimeda does not work well for nutrient export and nitrate and phosphate absorbtion? Or do you feel that it just does not work AS well. Please give your opinion.

my sprigs of halimedia grow pretty fast, but the good thing is, it doesn't send out a suffocating mat (say like gsp) or pop up in weird places (aiptasia). the white tips in the picture are new leaflets formed each night. grows too much? just snap some off.

Brooklyn Johnny

I keep many types of caulerpa and chaetomorpha in my refugium, and prefer they be kept there. I HAD the same halimeda that adinsxq shows in the main tank for a while, but decided to get rid of it. Halimeda is a great looking noninvasive macro for the display tank. It doesn't overrun like caulerpa and is easy to pick out. It is next to impossible to truly get rid of caulerpa when pruning, and any little bit will grow back fast and again become a problem. I would not keep caulerpa in the main tank, unless it was very sparsely populated with hardier corals that could better resist being overrun.

The only reason I got rid of my halimeda is because it is a calcium hog, and was competing in my nano with many other sps and lps. I don't believe it does much for nutrient export, and if it does for every 1 unit of nutrients it probably takes 99 units of calcium and alkalinity. The leaves are like a piece of chalk they are so stacked, and it grows fast.

With that said I recommend halimeda for tanks where there are not many competitors for calcium and you want some nice greenery. Don't use it for nutrient export though IMO. I just got fed up with it, as I'm now dosing full strength kalk and about 5 mLs of B-ionic a day WITHOUT the halimeda. I was sick of basically throwing away kalk. In most nanos it would work well though.

It's tough because the same things that make caulerpa great for nutrient also make it a pest in the main tank, unless you have lots of herbivores such as tangs, which we don't in our nanos.

freakaccident

Probably wouldn't eat too much macro though. Is Caulerpa ok for a yellow tang? I will start putting my prunings in my big tank for him to munch on if it is. I know he will eat it but is it ok?

so IS there a good macro for the main tank that will not invade, not go sexual AND help with nutrient export without depleting calcium?

robert, I think there are very few, if any macros that are going to help deplete nutrients without overrunning the tank or depleting calcium.

head to inland aquatics, check out the list of macros and drop them an email. Very informative over there, large selection of macros and they should be able to better assist you with your quest.

After the macro nightmare I experienced, I will say that I don't think I will ever willingly put any macro in my tank, which I might actually get to restart next weekend! Happy memorial day for me.

Yup: Mine resembles the second lower pic with the ruller but is not as segmented as the first upper picture. If the bottom shot had the name associated with it, then I would say that that be the name.

Archived