ReefCleaners.org

New LR---Lighting?

Nepthea

I'm adding LR to a newly established tank today. I'm trying to prevent the coraline from bleaching. I have 2-65W PC. 10k and Actinic. Should I only run actinic at first, slowly adding in 10K? I'm wondering if anyone has a recipie for lighing new LR without bleaching..ie 4 hrs actinic for a week, then add daylight for an hour a day.....??

Thanks!???

Your'e likely to get a range of responses Nepthea. Remember, bleaching is a possibility, not necessarily a definite. If your'e just running in the tank, I see no harm in 4-6 hours actinic, along with 4 hours of your 10K as well. You may be just as successful running the combination. Worse case, and you do bleach - coralline will reappear within a matter of weeks assuming your husbandry practices are in order.

I like your sig btw, it is probably one of the few hard and fast facts of reefing.

Great, thanks for the responce. I think I will keep light to no more than 6 hours a day for the first week, and see what happens.

My sig states exactly how I feel sometimes! There are so many new ideas coming out all the time, its hard to know which road to follow.

Archived