Cultivated Reef

Seastars

laverick

I was wondering how to keep the sand in my tank clean without having to syphon it all the time. Would a seastar do the trick? what the smallest sand shifting seastar? I have a 15g tank with live rock, two pepermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp. I have had the tank for about 3 months now and hav had so much fun watching the live rock critters and shrimp that i havent added anything else yet! i want to add some corals and perhaps 3 fish at a later date.

I was wondering how to keep the sand in my tank clean without having to syphon it all the time. Would a seastar do the trick? what the smallest sand shifting seastar? I have a 15g tank with live rock, two pepermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp. I have had the tank for about 3 months now and hav had so much fun watching the live rock critters and shrimp that i havent added anything else yet! i want to add some corals and perhaps 3 fish at a later date.

You really could not keep any star in a tank that size for very long so you would be best to get some Cerith snails. They concentrate on the film algae and detritus on and just below the surface of your sandbed. Maybe a dozen or so for your tank size.

- Chris

Archived