Pod Your Reef

Lighting for an Eclipse 12 Gallon Curved Front

NanoJrFL

I have an Eclipse 12 gallon curved front tank. I am hoping on keeping basically any type of coral do I believe I will need the best lighting possible. What are good setups or types of lights? I mainly want setups so I can easily find one. Thanks

Is there any other 12 gallon Eclipse than a curved front? Anyway, a Customsealife 32 watt Retrofit Smartlamp Supernova works quite well.

I am adding another one to my tank this weekend actually but to start with one should be all you need. Took me a whole five minutes to swap out the old stock light for this one.

HTH.

jsabin, I think there's a rectangular 12 gallon Eclipse too, but anyways, what size tank u have? I don't think its an eclipse 12 gallon because there's no way to fit two in there

I have a 12 gallon Eclipse and two will fit (after I remove the under hood filter and put a HOB Aquaclear on it).

:)

JSabin, is there any reason to mount on a second one? I could take my filter out and just add another powerhead? (I already have one Maxijet 600) Do I really need the filter? You mounted the light on the crossbar (the second light) right? or on the lid thing that opens towards the back?

As you know, in the world of aquarium reefs, one can never, ever, ever have enough light (hence my desire to have 64 watts of smartlamp versus the 32 I currently have). I am mounting it in the hood, similar to how my current light is configured.

I currently have two powerheads, and with the HOB filter I will still have the 150 GPH working for me as well (without the under hood filter unit). I will still have some space when I open the lid as well.

I plan to take pictures during my 'project' for any Eclipse 12 owners that might want some ideas. If everything comes from FedEx and UPS tomorrow, I plan to do all this over the weekend.

HTH.

another option I was considering is ditching the hood altogether, and buy a quad 96 watt hood.

they have it at hellolights.com for 97 bux only!!!!

You can buy the mounting legs to raise it above the tank and thus enabling you to keep your eclipse filter goin.

Originally posted by iloveinn

another option I was considering is ditching the hood altogether, and buy a quad 96 watt hood.

they have it at hellolights.com for 97 bux only!!!!

You can buy the mounting legs to raise it above the tank and thus enabling you to keep your eclipse filter goin.

Can you post a link to that actually? I like the sound of that option and would like to take a look at it.

Thanks!

My LFS is having a 10% off sale on the brand of lighting, you guys are talking about. (Not sure what the price before the sale is)

Nano,

i dont' think that there's any way that anyone can match hellolights.com's price. It's absolutely cheap for a 96 watt.

grr.. all that talking about lights. I think I'm just going to go with this light, plus the mounting legs. It'll make maintenance a lot easier, as eclipse 12's hood is a PITA when it comes to cleaning, feeding, etc.

Josh

Take a picture when you have it set up. I am *this* close to doing the same thing but would really like a picture before I jump on in. I wonder how bad the evaporation would be using this light?

the only problem with this setup is that the eclipse filter stands 2 inches above the tank, while the legs only will rise the unit 1 1/2 inches.

as for evaporation, it'll be more, because 1) the heat from the light is more intense, and 2) without the canopy, more water naturally evaporate.

grrr.... dilema, dilema B)

looks really cool Jeff,

I guess I was hoping to keep that eclipse filter going... but I think if anyone's really serious about lighting their tank, you'll have to ditch the filter and go with HOB simply because the eclipse filter just block a good amount of real estate in the area that you're interested the most (ie. the back fo the tank where most of the corals will reside.

Jeff, btw, you have 2 supernova anyway right, so the evaporation won't be that much more. How much evaporation do you have? I'd be interested to know.

can you also post more pics of the tank lit?

Thanks

Josh

More pics of the tank are posted in the Member's Nano Reefs forum today.

Temp has not been a problem at all and I suspect because I have more air getting into the tank from the back. Evap hasn't been dreadful either to this point and the lights have been on since 9:00 this morning. So far, so good!

Archived