Innovative Marine Aquariums

LR

avalanche1201

avalanche1201

I know LR is the basis of the filtration process...but what is best? I know its more about what you personally like since they all will work basically the same once established...however, some are more porous and lighter then other pieces

I will be building a custom cube tank this summer and have been looking at premium aquatics for some LR, but I cant decide on what to get.

im thinking fiji...but not positive yet...what kind is every one else's favorite?

fiji's my personal favorite but are they selling aquacultured "fiji"? it's possible, dump old/dried fiji rock into the local ocean or seed it in a holding tank, i just don't think it's that cost-effective.

tampabaysaltwater.com is probalby the most well-known of the US rock aquaculturers. i've been hearing their rock isn't as dense/heavy as it used to be. the quality should still be top-notch regardless, since it's so fresh (florida vs. fiji/so. pacific).

avalanche1201

yea I know TBS has a nice aquaculture spot...I havnt looked into them right now though for my cube, in fact I never thought about it.

Got a mixture ENraged? I might look into that route...did you go mostly 50/50?

SeeDemTails

Mixtues look lame . The bests reefs have all the same type of rock.

I got my rock from Sealifeinc.net. AWSOME stuff. I have been a reefer for a while and this is the best rock I have seen. I just put 30lbs of it in my 15H.

It has several different type of corallines, encrusting and plating, and the rock is about 90% solid purple with reds, oranges, and pinks. It also is covered in feather dusters of many different colors. Cures well too, like 2 weeks.

Check out his rock.....I looked at premium aquatics but wasnt impressed with the "you may get good stuff you may not" attitude I found. Ken is the owner, and he is very helpful and if you ask him for a specific sized rock, I.E. smjaller peices for making a better looking reef, then check him out.

Mixtues look lame . The bests reefs have all the same type of rock.

where as I find the same old package filled tank about as boring and lame as they come so you can see peoples opinions will vary greatly on live rock choices..

I went

5 pounds Marshal Island Live Rock

5 poundsTonga Kaelini

And 3 pounds Tonga shelf rock

I have since added a couple of pounds of LFS stuff to fill in some gaps.

But to each their own i personally love my aquascaping it took me 6 months to get it were i wanted it lol

Whatever any given site is selling is supposedly "the best" LR. I have Tonga Kaelini with a single large piece of Tonga shelf. It doesn't look mismatched.

SeeDemTails
where as I find the same old package filled tank about as boring and lame as they come so you can see peoples opinions will vary greatly on live rock choices..

I guess you wouldnt like natural reefs then....

I have a, miture of rock in my 37 gal, sure it is all nice rock, but it certainly doesnt look anywhere as nice as my 15h with the rock I got. Say what you want but any eperienced reefer will agree that matching rock creates the most natural looking reef. I agree, package filled tanks look lame, when you buy lame LR. Check out the stuff from sealifeinc.net. It will make you want to throw away your old rock and start over. I have been a reefer for 7 years, and have seen pleanty of good LR at my LFS and elsewhere, but nothing comes close to the quality of that rock. Plus it has like no die off as it hasnt been shipped half way around the world.

Say what you want about LR on the net, most of it does suck, bigtime! Most places are over rated becasue someone got a few nice peices out of a 50 lb box. I have seen rock orderd from other places on the net, premium aquatics, Drs foster smith, and a few other places and have not been impressed with the die off, or the quality of the rock. I have placed two orders with sealifeinc.net and got high quality rock with almost no die off both time, every peice. No mixes of good and bad rock.

If I wanted anything besides a natural look I would have put in a bubbleing treasure chest. :D

You know your rock doesnt look this good.....

Live%20Rock4_500_500.jpg

No offense but isn't seelifeinc like 5 hours away from you? your sounding a bit like a commercial lol

Like i said ideas on live rock will vary does not matter if you have been in the hobby 20 years or 4 days.

so come you your on conclusion

When i go reef diving seedem i am not starring at the rock i am looking at all the fish and corals.

so to each their own.

I guess you wouldnt like natural reefs then....

I have a, miture of rock in my 37 gal, sure it is all nice rock, but it certainly doesnt look anywhere as nice as my 15h with the rock I got. Say what you want but any eperienced reefer will agree that matching rock creates the most natural looking reef. I agree, package filled tanks look lame, when you buy lame LR. Check out the stuff from sealifeinc.net. It will make you want to throw away your old rock and start over. I have been a reefer for 7 years, and have seen pleanty of good LR at my LFS and elsewhere, but nothing comes close to the quality of that rock. Plus it has like no die off as it hasnt been shipped half way around the world.

Say what you want about LR on the net, most of it does suck, bigtime! Most places are over rated becasue someone got a few nice peices out of a 50 lb box. I have seen rock orderd from other places on the net, premium aquatics, Drs foster smith, and a few other places and have not been impressed with the die off, or the quality of the rock. I have placed two orders with sealifeinc.net and got high quality rock with almost no die off both time, every peice. No mixes of good and bad rock.

If I wanted anything besides a natural look I would have put in a bubbleing treasure chest. :D

You know your rock doesnt look this good.....

Live%20Rock4_500_500.jpg

SeeDemTails
No offense but isn't seelifeinc like 5 hours away from you? your sounding a bit like a commercial lol

Yeah, my shipping was cheap! Other than that I dont see what your point in that comment is. Someone made a post asking about rock. I have had two great experiences with this vendor, and his rock is IMO the best I have seen. Forgive me for reccomending this to another person.

Also, his rock is aquacultured, not brought in from somewhere in the south pacific. This is the aquaculture forum isnt it?

Perhaps you have a better reccomendation? Pictures on a website are one thing, but we can always compare shots of the rock in our tanks. All I was trying to do was help another find good quality rock.

i say fiji ... the stuff i got was great quality and although it is aquacultured it has a ton of life and colour to it ... the best thing you can do though is to go to your lfs and hand pick your pieces

oooh snap...it's on

back to avalanche1201's question tho...the more porous the live rock the better it will act as filtration and the more spots pods can hide in. basically get what you think looks cool and will fit in your tank. i have no idea what types of live rock i have, i just kinda went around to different reef stores and got rock i liked. i hope this helped.

Yeah, my shipping was cheap! Other than that I don't see what your point in that comment is. Someone made a post asking about rock. I have had two great experiences with this vendor, and his rock is IMO the best I have seen. Forgive me for reccomending this to another person.

Also, his rock is aquacultured, not brought in from somewhere in the south pacific. This is the aquaculture forum isnt it?

Perhaps you have a better reccomendation? Pictures on a website are one thing, but we can always compare shots of the rock in our tanks. All I was trying to do was help another find good quality rock.

Ok I am not going to fight with you about live rock i mean honestly....

but everything you have said thus far only goes towards what you think looks pretty and the idea of his question was about filtration and when it comes to filtration I feel a mixture with different porosity would make more sense hence live rock from different parts of the world.

only my opinion he can research and make his own choice in the end.

If you wanna argue how much pretty your aquascaping and liverock are then mine shoot me a PM lets not hijack his thread. :wub:

Good day,

SeeDemTails
I feel a mixture with different porosity would make more sense hence live rock from different parts of the world.

The rock im speaking of is oolite and is very porus. Every rock has a few marble sized holes in it. Why gamble with different types of rock with some being porus and some not when you could just get one type of rock that you know is consistent? Brach stuff and most ancient coral type rock has NO holes that any large amount water flows through.

I didnt know discussing the quality of rock in a thread about LR was off topic.....

Archived