Coral Vue Hydros

Taking the Plunge Again.

JonnyMiata

JonnyMiata

I am going to try getting back into saltwater again. I had a saltwater tank for about 15 years. One was a 20 gal and then I moved to a 55 gal. I had my good moments and my bad. Probably my best moment was being able to have a very tame Lionfish that would rollover and allow me to pet his belly and feed him by hand. The bad moment was at the end, 3 years ago, when I just lost interest and my fish were suffering because of it. I think I was not really interested in keeping fish because I really wanted a reef tank but they were lots of money and were huge and confusing. I recently visited the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago and went to their new exhibit called Wild Reef. Well, now I am hooked again. I went to my local fish shop and saw that you can get tiny reef tanks with minimal hassle and expense. I told the guy to order me all I need and let's get working on this. I really want a 7 gal minibow but I ordered a 2.5 gal minibow just to get started. Here is what they are putting together for me:

2.5 gal All-glass Minibow Tank

Light conversion

Powerhead

Salt

Balance Blocks

3 lbs of sand (some live)

5 lbs of Marshall Island live rock

I have a hydrometer from my old tanks. If there is anything that you think I need other than this, please let me know. I am very excited about getting back into this. The guys at the fish shop are going to put the whole thing together for me. I will put the 7gal together on my own once I have mastered this little guy. I really want a tank to house a true clown. I love those little guys.

I will be lurking on this board for a while sucking in all the knowledge I can.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Jonny

yellowtang

What about a heater?

i have a 29gal. thats 6months old its goin pretty nice

... take it slow... just wanted to say good luck,Eric:happy:

JonnyMiata

Thanks, Eric!

The shop told me that I didn't need a heater with that small amount of water. He said the light should be enough heat. I will be monitoring the temp just in case.

Jonny

JonnyMiata,

There is no light to heat the water at nighttime, and a heater will help with reducing temp fluctuation.

What lights are you putting over the 2.5 Minibow? What color tank did you get?

Gil

JonnyMiata

Good point, Gil. I will ask about this more at the shop. Do you recommend a tiny heater for such a small tank?

I got the purple one. I really wanted black but they don't make it. Not sure why they went with the iMac colors.

Gil, I love your website. It made my decision easy to go ahead and take on this project. Thanks for all the good info you supplied me with at your site.

Jonny

JonnyMiata

Thanks, Eric. That mini heater looks like a winner. I was beginning to think I was the only one setting up a 2.5 gal anymore. I think I will start buying all the parts to a great 7 gal minibow piece by piece.

I am not very familiar with corals yet. I need to do some research on what goes well with what. What needs a lot of light, which doesn't and what my preference is. I think those 3 years of latin in highschool maybe useful in pronouncing some of these coral names. ;)

I really like the look for Gils tank. Do you have any suggestions on what to start with. What are your plans?

Jonny

yellowtang

Well I wont be doing it for a month or 2 but i plan on keeping a snail or two, a starfish, and maybe a shrimp ...for corals I'll probably put frags from my 29gal. in it.....in my 29gal.im going to get finger leather ...toadstool leather ....colt coral ... mushroom corals and GSP .... a green open brain or 2 and a candy cane coral

Archived