SaltCritters.com

Molting is good right?

Darklyte24

My red stripe molted about every three weeks or so. Totally normal and nothing to be concerned about. I couldn't tie molting to any particular event but the thing ate like a horse though and grew fast. Unfortunately, mine died unexpectedly recently.

SeeDemTails

No molting is bad. It means my cleaner shrimp is getting bigger and it is easier for him to harass my corals.

avalanche1201

you can leave the shells or you can pull them out. Doesnt really matter...but if u leave them I believe they can get nutrients from it...so I leave mine, plus just to lazy to pull them out

I think seeing as inverts like these MUST molt to grow, I'd say it's a good thing. As for the molt itself, I always just leave it in the tank - I've never had any trouble with them.

Alexraptor

Not entirely correct, too frequent molts can be an indication of trouble, if they molt too frequently ít can be a sign of iodine overdose, and the frequent molting can kill them.

Darklyte24

mostly anything too frequent is bad, not often enough would be bad too.. but how frequent is too frequent?.. mine has molted 4 times in 2 months

Is it growing? (Getting noticeably larger?) A growing arthropod molts more frequently than an adult, especially if it is well fed.

I wouldn't worry about it, unless you are using supplements and then it sounds as if Alexraptor's input might apply...

But in general, yes, molting is a normal part of arthropod life!

--Diane

• 2 weeks later...

whenever my cleaner molts it has green eggs in its stomach so i think its molts when it needs to be fertilised. If it doesnt then it just eats the eggs.... extra protein

wheresnemo

Frequent molting does mean a bad thing. From what I understand they are supposed to molt at the change of the moon. So I would say once a month is safe. My shrimps only molt once a month and I have had them for a while now. As for leaving the molt, my clown picks it up and feeds it to my red bta.

Archived