Cultivated Reef

Fuge W/O Lighting?

B16A2NR

I have been reading quite a bit about refugiums and plan to convert a h.o.b. filter into a small fuge for the 10 gallon. I plan to add an inch of live sand, some small live rock frags, and a plant of some sort. I do have a lot of light leaking out of the back of my tank that would reach the top portion of the h.o.b. but with the h.o.b.'s depth it cannot reach the bottom. Are there any no, or very low lighting plants that can withstand just a little light? I know the option of azoo mini lights and book lights but want to resist at all costs because im already running about 15 plugs out of one outlet. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Todd

Christopher Marks

If you're unable to provide light to the refugium, not much will grow.

I'd just opt out of the refugium plan if I were you. Remember that they're not necessary for nano reefs, they just have some added benefits.

Chris is right that they are unneccesary but I think you might still be able to see some macro growth without direct light on the hob. The only problem you might have is algae competition in the main tank growing faster, due to better lighting, and thus stealing the nutrients needed by the macro in the fuge. To combat this, you might try using a large amount of macro in the hob.

I think it might work but it might not be worth the experiment, unless you can get someone to hand over a big hung of macro from their fuge.

I'm not quite sure if I understand the benifits of the fuge correctly. Macro algae feeds off nutrients that the micro algae would need, but wouldn't it be taking nutrients from the corals too? Like a protein skimmer? BTW has anyone ever tried a sand sifting star or sea cucumber in their nano, I was told they destroy your bio in the sand bed.

Todd

wetworx101

I can see a problem with the macro going sexual here, can anyone else?? And alot more macro in the fuge wont do diddly squat but result in rotting plant if not enough light is present. (hows it gonna even compete with what is in the tank, even being a larger mass, while the lights are off??) If anything it will hurt your corals (by taking all the nutrients from the algae inside clams and corals with it) and help the macro in the tank more by possibly releasing co2 all day.

On a more positive note: If the fuge has enough bottom area, sounds perfect for a plenum/dsb. That could be a huge benefit. Throw some live rock in there, and you might even get a nice pod population residing in there.

Adding a light like a lil 13w onto a HOB wouldnt be too hard either...maybe even smaller, no? Ive seen 7watt PC's.

Perhaps some properly placed mirrors would also do it...like the stuff you can cut yourself because it is plexi at the homedepot.

Note: having a large amount of macro in a fuge, if not of various varieties, can be a big problem. If the macro decides to go sexual, all of it can go at once, leaving your tank like pea soup, and rotting husks behind. The low light might stimulate this reaction easily. So the more macro of the same type, the bigger chance of a sexual meltdown...and given you wouldnt be providing strong light, or providing it 24/7...id say the chances of it are high.

P.S. Hows the lighting above the fuge? perhaps a mangrove plant would be a good way to go if the lighting farther up gets better...easy to experiment with also...i.e.: no risk of tanl meltdown...and awesome nutrient export.

I have not been running a light on my refuge for teh last month and the caulpera slowly faded away. I have since put a jalli 13watt on my refuge....so...daylight will not cut it..you need direct lighting on most macro to grow..

Archived