ReefCleaners.org

Uhuru's 70g BB shallow cube BUILD

Uhuru

Well this tank is going to be almost opposite of my 5 gal. CADlights tank. I haven't taken pictures lately but let's just say it's fully stocked. I have a hard time getting my hand in there without knocking stuff over, and it's only getting worse as the corals are showing significant growth! Something that you learn not to take for granted with such a small tank is space. I decided on a custom 30x30x18 envision built tank, hopefully with no visible equipment in the tank. What I "envision" is a bare bottom, high flow minimalist style tank with sps corals, a medium sized group of school fish, and a centerpiece fish (I'm not sure which ones I can keep but that wouldn't be for much later anyways).

Here's some teaser shots of the tank James just sent me:

6808DSC00106.JPG

6808DSC00103.JPG

Equipment I have:

PM ES100 skimmer with gate valve, GenX needle wheel pump (soon to be mesh modded and venturi modded)

30g fuge

20g sump

eheim 1260 return pump

reeflo dart circulation pump

lumenarc reflector

typhoon III ro/di

Equipment I plan to get:

250w aquaconnect 14k SE HQI bulb with HQI ballast

OM 4-way

AC III controller

GEO CA reactor

Phosban reactor

With finals approaching I probably won't get the tank running until summer, but I will slowly start putting it together as time permits. more pics to come! B)

Thanks guys I wish I had more time to get this tank setup quicker. Hopefully I'll be able to do a little something every weekend though until it's ready to go. I still have my 5g tank to enjoy at least. I'll have to take some pics of that as well.

It's Acrylic right? Also, can I ask who's builing this tank for you?

Yeah it's built by Envision Acrylics, they are local to me, and happen to be the best in the business ;)

No Lumenarc Reflector + 175w Iwasaki SE? It'd put out more light then that 250hqi with a better spread. o.O

Good for you for doing a BB tank. Not enough of them around. And you can also use a dsb in a sump or hob fuge. And come on..who doesnt like a nice bare bottom? :)

if you want the minimalist look, at least glue some sand onto starboard for the barebottom. ;)

Do you have any pictures of this? Given time I think a true barebottom tank can look very nice, and in person they always look nice enough that you don't even notice the sand is missing. My tank has a black acrylic bottom and back so I think it's really going to have a unique look to it. We'll see how it goes though, I'm always open to change if one way doesn't work out for me.

left%20side.JPG

No Lumenarc Reflector + 175w Iwasaki SE? It'd put out more light then that 250hqi with a better spread. o.O

Really? Is that a pure white bulb? The aquaconnect is one of the highest output 14K bulbs out there according to Sanjay's tests, and I didn't want to go with a 10K even though it has more light intensity because I'm not supplementing with actinics. Let me know more about the Iwasaki! PAR? Color range? Ballast type? Thanks!

Aquaconnect 14K PAR: 453

Good for you for doing a BB tank. Not enough of them around. And you can also use a dsb in a sump or hob fuge. And come on..who doesnt like a nice bare bottom? :)

Exactly, that's why I'm going to have a 30g fuge that can be removed from the system for service if needed.

gobies :P

Great tank man!

Fishfreak218
And come on..who doesnt like a nice bare bottom? :)

:raises hand:

it looks like crap when it covers in corraline and looks FAR from natural!

have fun with that,

Ill stick with the sand! ;)

LOL to each his own! I'll admit BB tanks are not nearly as photogenic as SB tanks (when taking FTS) but in person you really don't even notice whether there is sand or not.

drilled for 3600 GPH closed loop baby!

6808DSC00107.JPG

Archived