SaltCritters.com

"Bristle worm free" tank possible?

trevor

Hello all....this is a great site. I have been reading threads on this site for 2 weeks now and I am excited about starting my nano.

However, I've seen alot of info about bristle worms. Many feel that they are not a problem and others have stated that they're creepy. I was wondering if it is possible to have a nano free of bristle worms?

In other words, if you use simple live rock curing steps and daily tank maintainance methods, can one completely eliminate the presence of all bristle worms? Thanks in advance...

You could eliminate all the bristleworms...and then you'd have a tank with detritus accumulation problems! You want as many diverse types of microfauna in your sandbed/LR as is humanly possibly...and bristles are a very valuable part of that diversity! They're some of the greatest detrivores we can have in the tank.....end of story. SAVE THE BRISTLEWORM!!

Trust me. You don't want a tank, no matter how big or small, without a healthy population of bristleworms.

Yes, they're creepy. They're more beneficial than creepy, though.

The only reason I didn't ditch my crushed coral and the last three pieces of live rock is because I want to try and save as many worms (and other critters in there) as possible. I have a couple of monster bristle worms in the fuge and god knows how many in the main tank. I never once saw them do anything harmful to the tank. I have seen the worms crawl over clams and corals and go about their business looking for dead or dying matter. They won't attack a healthy animal.

If you do want to rid the tank of the worms, there are any number of fish and crabs that will eat them but, you will be sorry you got rid of them.

Bristleworms rule. they quickly consume poop and molted exoskeletons, something that no other cleanup critter does. They don't harm anything, at least in my tank, and I've got pretty large ones.

Hey Chufa, have you been down to Seascapes/Iowa Pet lately? They've got a bristleworm in one of their holding tanks that'd make you sh*t! It's got to be a half inch around and about 5 inches long.

thanks for all the input everyone....i guess i won't worry about bristle worms then (since they are that important)

I don't think I have any bristle worms in my tank. I never see them and I think they all died when cycling. I saw some couple of dead worms when I got liverock.

HogWinslow

Ok you got me convinced I should have Bristle worms.

Where do I get them from?

My tank is 3 weeks old and still cycling. When do I put them in?

10 gallon

5 lbs dead rock

5 lbs live rock

10 lbs bagged live sand

2/ 13 watt PC ( 10,000K/atenic )

Archived