Coral Vue Hydros

Low ph in freshly mixed salt water? GH?

siskiou

I've had just salt water with aragonite sand plus a few cups of LS in my 20H for about a week, now.

From day one the ph tested at 7.8.

KH is 10, Calcium at 440. SG 1.024, temp 80 F.

What would be the best way to bring the ph up without raising the calcium?

I tried to find info, but everything referred to tanks that had been set up for a while.

Also, what should the GH be approximately for salt water?

I tried testing mine and it's so high that I ran out of room in the test tube to finish the test!

I'm using Kent salt and RO/DI water.

Could the salt itself be a problem?

Siskiou

The salt could definitely be the problem. I know it's cleche but I use IO. Never had a problem with it and my tank has always been healthy (just ask the hair algae, cyano, and red slime X) ).

Your salt could be a problem if it continues to happen. Try another brand and compare the results, pH.

I use Sodium Bicarbonate (Food grade baking soda). Just add slowly until pH returns to desired range. No harmful effect at all. Sod. Bicarb is pH ~8.3 anyway.

S

Yes,the salt could be a problem. I had the same thing happen to me with Coralife, and the problem went away when I switched to instant ocean for this reason. Also, I have heard lots of bad things about Kent products.

Why dont you wanna raise the calcium?? Its not a BAD thing to have calcium thats through the roof

Calcium is at 440, and I have nothing in the tank that could use it up (not even LR, yet).

So, I didn't *think* I should raise it at the moment, but am looking for opinions here ;)

Anyone know about the GH?

I'm really curious to find out how high that should be!

Siskiou

I was told it almost impossible to mesure the GH in saltwater. A guy a the LFS said he tried and got to something like 100 drops and stopped at that point. But you can measure the KH.

Chris

Ah, thanks!

I got to 100 drops (filling the vial to the brim), and then stopped.

It never did change color.

KH measures at 10.

I was a bit worried about the GH, since I couldn't find any numbers for it in all my books or on the net.

And GH is not searchable in the forums, unfortunately, along with ph and other important, but short words.

Siskiou

Archived