Pod Your Reef

Fire/Blood Shrimp died while molting.

Pacifique

I've had this shrimp for almost three weeks, and ever since I got it, it has been hiding behind this very piece of rock (the same one in the photo). Just today I noticed that it started poking its head out, and about an hour ago he fully came out behind the rock and was walking around on the outside of the rock. It slowly stopped moving, and then stopped entirely.

Here are things to consider.

About a week and a half ago it molted. I found its 'shell' on the substrate and removed it.

Two weeks ago exactly I added Kent Marine Tech-I Iodine Supplement for reef aquariums. It said to does once a week for four weeks. So this past Saturday was the second dose.

Now, tonight I noticed that it had some black on its carapace, and when it fully came out from behind the rock, it appeared as if it was in the process of molting. Its shell was loose and looked it like was going to come off. And it was moving as if it was trying to get its shell off.

In the picture, if you look on its carapace (on the left) you can see a bit of white, from its underbody. I assume this is its "flesh".

It is certainly not moving, and I gently prodded it to see if it would start moving, but it didn't.

You can also see the bits of black on its shell in the image below.

Essentially, what's gives?

shrimp_01.jpg

(right click, view image to see it full size)

coolwaters

i heard that its natural for then to lay down on their backs. try adding calcium supplements. everytime i add 2-3 drops of that kent calcium my cleaner shimp molts or my hermit crabs.

how long has this been going on? it shouldnt take more then 2 days....IME

unless your calcium lvl is bad..

The tank is just over two months old. It's a 10 gallon reef, with soft corals.

There's an emerald crab and 5 really small hermit crabs, all of which are still alive.

So you think it's a calcium problem?

I hear that sometimes inverts have trouble molting, it's just something that happens.

I guess mine was one of the unlucky ones.

I hear that sometimes inverts have trouble molting, it's just something that happens.

I guess mine was one of the unlucky ones.

Have you tested your iodine levels? I dose lugols iodine, 1 drop a week, and all my inverts are happy. Do a search on it.

good luck, Mike

I followed the dosage guide on the bottle.

And no, I haven't tested the water for calcium levels.

Mine did the same thing... he was hanging upside down on his favorite rock i turned to my computer for maybe 5 seconds turn back and he was upside down on the sand bed dead..

this was also shortly after a molt.

• 4 weeks later...
Helpinsmepls

I fed my cleaner and peppermint shrimp some dry nori and a few hours later they both molted then died a few min's after.

I think this may be an injestion problem. Like choking or they got ahold of something bad and ate it.

What do you guy's think?

Weird I am having similiar troubles with my cleaner shrimp. I fed him last night and today his head was jammed under rock and he wasnt moving, I thought he was dead so I started to scoop him up when I noticed he was molting then he moved a little so I put him back in his spot. I am gonna watch and see if he recovers tonight if not I may need to pull him for fear of the ammonia he will create if he does die.

Helpinsmepls
Was the nori salted or seasoned or roasted in any way?

(because it shouldn't be)

Nope just dried nori from the healthfood store.

reefman225gal

One thing you guys may not know is there is a coldwater peppermint shrimp. Sometimes sold as tropical shrimp.

Archived