SaltCritters.com

Name that Anemone

Silly Clown

Silly Clown

I rescued this anemone from an LFS in my area without having a positive ID. I have seen too many anemones die in this stores' tanks and I couldn't bear to let such a beautiful creature go without a fight (even though I inwardly know that buying the little guy is just supporting their reprehensible practices...I gave them my two cents on the issue, so don't worry). He's a little bleached from transit but he's already started to regain some colour since purchase. The tank is fairly young though most of the stuff was taken from established tanks. I figured that it was better off with my young 20 H and 150 W MH rather than a dirty 90 with 2 4' NO fluorescents that was the alternative.

post-23209-1179280274_thumb.jpg

I have my own theory as to the ID but I don't want to bias everyone's comments so I'll leave it up to you all. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. I'm not sure if I've attached the pic properly so here's hoping...

Silly Clown

That was my initial thought too...but what about the colour of the base?...I can't find references to GBTAs with purple bases...that is certainly a distinct possibility but does anyone think it could be a magnifica? My understanding, albeit perhaps limited, is that a purple base is very distinctively magnifica. I guess I'm hoping that there is someone out there that has had experience with GBTAs and has witnessed one with a purple base so that I can have peace of mind and not have to worry about the fate of such a notoriously hard to keep animal like a magnifica.

There are a few BTA's with purple bases. I've always wanted one >.< so if it turns out to be one, I call first split ;)

You should probably know for sure when it finally sets up shop. If it's a magnifica it'll be at the top of the tank, probably on the glass to get as close to the light as possible. A magnifica pretty much requires a 400W MH. Anything less and it slowly withers away (there are one or two people with them under 250W but their light is very close to the water and the mag's are also very close to the top of the water). They also take a complete ton of water flow. Very strong random current (like current you wouldn't think clownfishes could deal with). And they get huge (60gal species tank wouldn't be far off for one with it's size kept in check by holding back feedings).

There are a lot of reported "success" with magnifica's because they take a long time to whither and die. Sometimes up to a year, year and a half. Success with Mag's is not determined from a 1 year captivity.

Silly Clown

Thanks for the thoughts and reassurance Gwoardnog...It's probably a BTA but I had just never encountered one with a purple base before in my limited experience...Is it really that uncommon of a phenomenon?...as far as the first split goes, I'm afraid that since I'm in Canada I would probably need a CITES permit to ship anything to Kansas City, MO...I'm afraid you might be SOL...my regrets...

Archived