Coral Vue Hydros

Wet/Dry Filter

jimmie51

This is not really a Nano question, but we are up grading our wet/dry filter on our FOWLR tank at work. It is a 65 gallon that has been running about 6 months. We are up grading to a bigger filter with a built in skimmer. I know a skimmer is not needed for FOWLR but for some reason we are suffering from over feeding. It seems any time someone goes by the tank they have to make sure the fish are fed. It's just a fail safe against co-workers. Anyway my question is will I experience any cycling from the new filter? Thanks for your help.

I know a skimmer is not needed for FOWLR

on the contrary imo, a FOWLR would benefit greatly or even more from a skimmer than the typical lightly fed reef. there's even more organics (i.e. fish pee/poo :x ) to pull out in a FOWLR than in a reef.

for some reason we are suffering from over feeding. It seems any time someone goes by the tank they have to make sure the fish are fed.

i found your reason. X) solution: put a sign that says "DO NOT FEED THE FISH!" then setup an automatic feeder. anyone who's caught feeding the fish has to clean out the skimmer cup. :x

you shouldn't see another cycle at all from the addition of the wet/dry & skimmer. the LR/LS should already be well developed (assuming it's an established tank) so the additional nitrate produced/processed have a bene bacteria colony waiting to consume/process it.

IMO, a skimmer is a very good idea. Like tiny said it helps break down organics and it will add O2 to the tank.

I think the "Feed the fish empty the cup" sign would definitely deter some of the frequent feeders in the office.

Thanks guys! The sign has helped. LOL! The water quality has really cleaned up after installing the new filter system. Thanks again for the advise.

Archived