SaltCritters.com

Snail motionless

reefin'

I bought 3 astera snails about 3 weeks ago, and I noticed that one is not moving. I put my hand in the tank to grab him, and I think he is dead..cause the shell just fell off the rock. Anyway should I wait a while just to be sure, or should I get him out ASAP? The snails and LR and sand is all that is in there at the moment. Suggestions?

Take himm out of the tank and use something to gently poke at the tissue. If it does not respond by pulling back then it's probably dead. Also smell it. Snails REALLY stink if they are dead.

Yes, the stench of rotting mollusk is that of hell.

Sometimes though snails can freak out and not move for a long while, but 3 weeks seems a bit long.....

No it has not been 3 weeks, that is how long I have had them. The one in question has been disposed of, cause I took it out of the tank..and I touched it with a tip of a pen...dead as a doornail. How well still have 2. Can't figure out why he died, my water parameters are fine, and no temp flucuations. I have noticed a patch of black stuff that has formed behind my LR, it came up pretty easy, and stringy hair like algea is growing in some places. I use RO water for salt changes. Tanks been set up for about a month now.

When I got 5 astera snails, two wasn't moving. So it just layed their in the tank until the hermit crabs ate them.

Archived