Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dumb question-tank decor

supernip

Ok, I'm not sure if this is an advance question so I'm gonna assume it is cause it involves a bit of chemistry so flame me if you must. I wont really care:P : . I wanted to add some crystals into one of my little nanos, for a nice affect under actinics but was unsure if it will destroy my water's chemistry. The crystals will be something along the lines of fluorite, ama-something or other, quartz, that kinda stuff. What are your opinions? Reef safe, fish safe? Best for freshwater only?:( TIA reefers

blue_mermaid.jpg

i think the fluorite is fine. it should act just like calcite (i.e. it shouldn't react or dissolve easily).

glass or quartz glass should be fine too unless you're going to have some substrate sifters. then it could be an issue. hth

• 2 weeks later...
BlackSumbel
I wanted to add some crystals into one of my little nanos, for a nice affect under actinics but was unsure if it will destroy my water's chemistry. The crystals will be something along the lines of fluorite, ama-something or other, quartz, that kinda stuff. What are your opinions? Reef safe, fish safe? Best for freshwater only?

Amatrine? Amazonite? Amethyst? Two are a form of quartz (amatrine/amethyst), another is a form of Flourite (amazonite). I'd try and stick to Quartz, mostly because it's the most inert of the groups. Well, I dunno, Obsidian (volcanic glass) is pretty dag inert.

I've put quartz "family" crystals/structures in a few of my tanks with zero problems (freshwater, though). Try finding out -exactly- what you have, and looking it up ("Chemical composition of [mineral]") on the net. Now, I will say that from a (new age) book I have on crystals, it does list what is toxic to humans (as far as leeching into skin or beverage). None of what you mentioned are toxic (unlike, say... galena, which is a lead mineral. Or Sulpher crystals... which are sulpher).

Flourite generally possesses a flourescing ability, so... be warned, your crystals may glow under black light. Also, I'm not -entirely- sure about the integrity of Flourite (or other Flourspars for that matter) during -long term- water soaks. I'd see about getting a one gallon fishbowl, and re-creating a little miniature version of your tank in there...then test like mad. If you don't see any changes, test it with a snail just to be sure. If -that- works... give it a trial run in the main tank. Of course, that kinda goes for anything "new".

Make sure you're getting "raw" crystals. Polished/tumbled forms generally use a polishing medium (diamond/zircon grit, steel grit, diamond/zircon powder). This can slough off in water, especially certain types/brands, and certain crystals (Angelite is notorious for sloughing it's polishing medium). This stuff is practically death to anything asperating it. Sort of like a human inhaling sillica dust, imagine inhaling -diamond- dust.

The above can be partially , if not totally, avoided by testing in the above-mentioned "mini mini" tank. If the stones feel gritty, sandy, pitted, scraped, rough...etc. It's better to -not- use that in the tank. And, of course, rinse the ones that -do- feel the same quite thurougly before using.

Another cool thing to keep in mind is that most crystals can be purchased carved into all kinds of cool shapes. Nothin cooler than a Quartz Buddah sitting in the middle of a neon garden of zooanthids, contemplating. B)

Err, I think I got sidetracked. Well, I hope it helps.

-Sumbel.

Archived