ReefCleaners.org

Whats killing my hermits?!

jeffblly

I have bought 8 scarlets and mexican redleg hermit crabs from 3 different LFS and they have all died within a day. All my snails I have bought dont seem to have a problem. Whats wrong with the hermits?

Some info. on my setup:

Nanocube 24dx running for 9 weeks

1 scallop

4 cerith snails

2 turbo snails

2 astrea snails

3 nassarius snails

Plus zoos, xenia, and mushrooms.

All my coral and snails are thriving. I would like to keep a few hermits to add some action to my tank. Just had my tank tested and everything came out good.

My salintiy is around 1.024 which I am in the process of lowering back to 1.023. I have a chiller that seems to cool down my tank a couple of degrees within 1/2 hour. I also acclimate all livestock over a period of several hours with drip method.

It seems that they die after the lights go off at 10:00. I dont know if this is just a coincidence or not but in the morning they are dead in their shells.

if they are dead in their shells i doubt a creature is killing them.. might be water quality issues? point being most things that kill hermits eat them

my prev. watchman the hermit assasin

DSC_2513.jpg

djchristone

oooo...i had a wheeler's watchman do that...and then die -_- i had just got him too...lol

either way, are they dying in the shell or are the shells just empty?

They are in their shells dead.

Could it be that the temp is fluctuating about 4 degress throughout the day? Or is it because I dont spend enough time acclimating them?

I thought if it was a water quality issue I would lose my snails and corals as well but they are fine. In fact my month old xenia is about to split already. :)

djchristone

wtf...i have never heard of that happening before...hermit crabs are pretty bullet proof too...

have you used copper before? possibly that's it since inverts are a lot more sensitive to copper...

I have not added anything except I feed DT's every few days. Thanks for responding. When I had my 55 gallon a few years ago I couldnt get rid of the hermits. Now I cant keep them.

Ricky@3rdshift

Maybe do a big water change and try 1 or 2 again? I have had the same hermits for like a year. However I have a hard time keeping snails, I pick up 2 or 3 and end up having 1 that lives.

Ricky

djchristone

weird...i never have any trouble with cuc...except hermits killing the smaller snails from time to time

seahorsedreams

DSC_2513.jpg

That is an AWESOME photo. Great catch!

My yellow watchman does the same thing he has what I call the grave yard by his spot in the rock with all empty shells

Would Temps kill hermits?

The reason I ask is that I think my digital thermometer is wrong. My mercury therm. says that my tank is 83 degress while my digital says 80. Also my chiller is constantly on and I have it set to 81.

djchristone

temp wouldn't kill a hermit. heck i don't even acclimate any hermits...they just go straight in :P

Archived