ReefCleaners.org

photoelectric eye for moonlight??

Sarnack

Does anyone have a circuit diagram for a photoelectric eye to turn on an LED moonlight when the main lights go off and vice versa? I took apart a nightlight with the photoelectric eye built in but it will not work on 12volts DC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

Chamkeeper

Sarnack,

I had the same thought for my Work Nano. I designed a nice little switching circuit, the whole nine. Then I realized there is no reason to turn the LED off. It uses so little electricity, the switching unit would use more looking for the lights to come on.

Let me know if you still was the schematic.

Cham

Yeah if you dont mind sharing it with me I'd love to check it out. My concern was not wasted energy but bulb life of the LED. Of course now that I think of it that is a pretty silly concern too... But still I can learn and if it is not too hard it would be fun to tinker with. Thanks for the quick reply!

Do you want it to be on whenever the lights are off or do you want it on when the ambient light reaches a certain threashold?

Cami

Cami - I want it to be on whenever the main aquarium lights are off. And I wanted it to be part of the moonlight so I didnt have to buy another bulky timer.

Cham sent me a diagram but I'll have to ask around for someone with electronics experience to help me read it...

Sarnack, if you have'nt figured it out yet or still need help, then send me your email address I'll send you a simple circuit diagram that uses only 1 relay that you can buy at radioshack for about 8 bucks. Very easy to build.

Email me at camiwrites@verizon.net

Chamkeeper

If you are going to run a relay for half of the day, it will definately be more efficient to just leave the LED on 24/7. Not many relays draw less than 3.7v@20mA or 74mW. Even the circuit I sent Sarnack, which is fairly simple, is about a toss up to running the LED all day.

I sent the email, but chamkeeper is right, it's more efficient to just leave the LEDs on 24/7 unless you're using those 5 watt LEDs I've seen around lately.

Archived