inTank Media Baskets

snails are upside down

kerrybrownlie

kerrybrownlie

All 3 of my snails are now upside down in my tank. Crabs seem fine, water parameters are fine. Normal behaiviour or not? Should I take them out? Thanks

HecticDialectics
All 3 of my snails are now upside down in my tank. Crabs seem fine, water parameters are fine. Normal behaiviour or not? Should I take them out? Thanks

Are they astraea snails? Astraea snails just kinda fall over sometimes and need to be put upright.

I've been lurking for a long time, but I saw this and had to post.

My tank has been up about 2 months now, and I've had two margaritas start doing this recently. If you put them back on the glass, they look like they just cant stick anymore and fall right back off. But if you place them on a rock right-side up, they start crawling around like normal. My water params are fine also, I dont see why this is happening.

Also, I have an Astaea that seems to be still doing fine. Anyone know a possible cause?

seahorsedreams

My tank has been up about 2 months now, and I've had two margaritas start doing this recently. If you put them back on the glass, they look like they just cant stick anymore and fall right back off. But if you place them on a rock right-side up, they start crawling around like normal. My water params are fine also, I dont see why this is happening.

Also, I have an Astaea that seems to be still doing fine. Anyone know a possible cause?

If you have margarita snails in a warm water tank.... there's your problem. They are not adhering anymore because they are slowing cooking to death in your tank. They are cold water snails.

If you have margarita snails in a warm water tank.... there's your problem. They are not adhering anymore because they are slowing cooking to death in your tank. They are cold water snails.

Well, dang. Thanks alot, I'll trade them for some astraeas next trip to the LFS.

Yeah, but his tanks are a little cooler than mine. I have a 10g nano that stays about 80.

I'm surprised nobody caught the temperature thing. *shrugs*

HecticDialectics

That's also pretty normal. Margarita snails are actually a cold-water species... so chances are they're just dying. They die very quickly in warmer water... no idea why they're even sold for normal reef tanks.

seahorsedreams

LOL... is there an echo in here :-)

Yeah, but his tanks are a little cooler than mine. I have a 10g nano that stays about 80.

I'm surprised nobody caught the temperature thing. *shrugs*

Do me a favor... ask him if he knows what they are and what kind of conditions they need. I'm not saying be mean... I'm just really curious why people stock these in their stores. 2 of the ones in my area stock them... and they know what they are... we've had the discussion. And still they are in the tanks along with the warm water stock.

By a cold water species I mean COLD. Below 70.

HecticDialectics
LOL... is there an echo in here :-)

haha

When I first read it, I thought it was the last post on the page... gotta get my eyes checked ;)

Well, I switched the snails today, my two new astaea are looking good.

I talked to one of the employees, and he asked me immediately about temperature. He specializes in seahorses, so he knew exactly what was up.

1. He also said that the owner only keeps them in that particular tank because they go so fast. Apparently we have alot of coldwater tanks around Athens.

2. And the snails were bought out of my own ignorance, not by the owner's recommendation.

Anyways, thanks alot for the info both of you. And kerrybrownlie, sorry about the thread hijack ;) .

From the few threads I've read about snails, it seems people are having a bit of trouble keeping them, and I am one of those people.

I had three astrea snails that did fine for a few weeks, and then died. But before they died, they had a tendency to land themselves upside down, and I was finding myself constantly readjusting them.

A few days after their demise, I purchased three turbo snails, which eventually stopped moving and slowly started to die. I still have one left, but it's not moving much.

Why are there so many problems with snails?

Archived