Top Shelf Aquatics

HELP! Did I kill my Emerald Crab?

Ricky@3rdshift

Ricky@3rdshift

Ok so a little history about my Emerald. I picked up some cool orange and green zoos, from a local shop last fall. I get them home and too my surprise attached to the piece of marshall islands rock with the zoos is a Emerald crab, and a small turbo snail. WOO HOO!!! Freebies <--- in a monster garage voice!!

Wel I see him occasionally, he seems quite content in the 24 gallon Nanno cube constantly picking at the rock etc....

Well I decided my tank was quite packed out with excess rock. So I decide to re-aquascape it and remove some rock to create some space and make it more interesting looking.

Long story short I never removed any of the corals, but uppon moving the biggest piee of rock in my tank about 6 to 8 lbs I accidentally sit it down on my crab and I can only assume pulled his legs off one side. He still was skimpering across the sand, and crawled up the rock into a crevice and hid. He still has his pinches on both sides, just missing his apendages on the right side of his body. I have seen him in a few places since then, but he isn't picking at the rocks he is just sitting.

I was hoping maybe his legs will grow back. Is this possible? Thanks.

Ricky

Ricky@3rdshift

I found him out in the open on the sand not moving. I fear he may be dead. It could be the molt shell, but not sure. I will check it out and report back.

Crabs have been known to lose legs and regrow them but I'm not sure about this because it wasn't torn off (like a bit) but ripped off. Hopefully he molted and the wounds are closed up.

Remeber to stock the tank with the right nutrients for him to molt (which will help heal his shell).

Archived