inTank Media Baskets

Newbie Questions on Equipment

killrblue

killrblue

New to SW, just wondering which test kits are easy to use and acurate? If I already have a refract, an eclipse, do I still need to get a hydrometer?

Thanks

I think if you're considering SW then this would be a moot question. you always have to monitor specific gravity as much as every other aspect of your tanks

audandash

depending on what you are putting in the tank you will also need better lighting. there are several retrofits for the eclipse. use the search button at the top of the page to see what others have done.

Hey killrblue,

Yes you definately need a hydrometer. It's a vital piece of equipment. So I'll make you a deal. I'll trade you my Deep Six Hydrometer for your refractometer!!!!!

As fr as test kits go, if you're planning on a reef tank pick-up an Alk test & a Calcium test. I splurged & bought Salifert kits. They are very easy to use & seem to pretty accurate.

Ike

Just in case you don't want to make the trade; if you have that refractometer you don't need a hydrometer.

Although my offer still stands.

Ike

killrblue

I don't have an Eclipse Tank but an Eclipse Refractometer. Sorry for the confusion. I do have a Via Aqua 18 Gallon.

Ike,

Sorry no trade, unless you give me some money, say $150 w/ the the hydrometer and a round trip ticket to the UK. :P

Archived