Innovative Marine Aquariums

Interesting crab? living in my brain coral

JJshiv

I was checking out my tank today pretty close and I noticed that there was a little crab living inside my worm brain coral. Its inside a little crater like thing that showed up about 2 months ago. This thing is tiny like maybe a couple millimeters in diameter. Now theres this little brown guy with white tipped claws eating whatever he is eating. Hopefully not my coral. Does anyone know what this could be?

104_0416_IMG.jpg

Bucket o Chum

You should should remove it I've read somewhere that those crab things burrow into the coral and harm it because they go right through the flesh and into the skelaton.

you see the crab? I have been staring at the pic for hours and all I have found is that, if you squint and slowly pull back, a 3-d horse appears.

Thanks for warning. I was thinking it would do something liek that.

Crak, I seriously see the horse too if I stare long enough. The little crab is on the lobe closest to the blastomussa in the middle of the pic. Its pretty small and in its little burrow.

check if it has fethery antennas (like the one of the moths) if yes You got a Paguritta spec. unarmfull ermit crab relatives:

it just live in its burrow (normally it is an old worm hole) and filter water with antennae (no need of special food).

Normally it is found on porites in relation with Xmas worms (it use their old tubes).

Great to have one on brain coral

Archived