Cultivated Reef

Tank's Not Cycling???????

KCReefer

My tank's been set up for around 8 week's now and my level's are holding steady. My ammonia is holding at around .50 PPM and is not lowering any more than that. I stopped checking the other level's because I know the ammonia has to drop first I need HELP!!!!! it's driving me crazy. any ideas on what I could try or what's going on? I've had fish only tank's before and never had this problem.

y'know, i have the exact same issue with some 'dead' fiji rock i picked up at my lfs. they were castaways from an established system that some guy nuked. i've been cycling these sob's for 8 weeks too. i'm thinking there's maybe some serious antibiotics or chemicals in there the previous owner used that's keeping the bene bacteria from firmly establishing themselves. ???

i finally caved in and bought some startup bacteria stuff last week but that hasn't help much either. neither has water & rock transfers from my main display tank. if i could catch one of my damsels i'd definitely plunk the little bastage in there. :P

where'd you get your rocks from? what temperature have you been running the tank at? have you tried different sets of test kits?

edit: i've been using carbon and poly-filters since week four.

SeaMountain

My ammonia levels never exceeded .25 for quite sometime. Then when they finally went to zero, the nitrites were at 'trace' levels for a couple more weeks.

Now at 6 weeks all are where they should be. :)

What are your nitrites testing at? They should be increasing slightly then spiking.

You may also want to take a water sample down to your LFS to see what they come up with for ammonia and nitrites.

Hang in there KCReefer! On another note, I had to call my son to see if he survived the twisters the other night. They hit all around him. I AM thinking your in Kansas City, right? B)

Is your test kit giving you false readings?

I tested my freshly mixed salt water after 24 hrs. (kent) and it read at 0.5 for ammonia.

It's a cheapo Aquarium Pharmaceutical's test for fresh/salt water.

Had the water checked at two LFSs and both read zero for ammonia, also using cheapo tests (Tetra).

Bought a Seachem Ammonia alert thingie to put into the tank and it tells me 0.02 ammonia.

I had only the freshly mixed salt water in a new tank, rinsed out before setting up and have no idea which test to trust, now :(

Siskiou

Archived