Innovative Marine Aquariums

nano tower gets water and rock

drdrew

5 inch dsb

prizm

penguin mini

50watt visitherm

clams and ...maybe a mix of corals...but likely more sps

from my experience deep sand beds do not work well in small tanks because there is not enough surface area to colonise.

it may lead to algae problems so keep good flow.

lokking good though:P

yes i imagine it will not add much to the denitrification process...but i like the look...especially in a tall tank...i also love sandbed critters...

i don't think it could possibly hurt however...what's the thinking behind that....that it could somehow cause an algae problem? i don't understand why that would be...can you explain it?

harbingerofthefish

ahh pretty white sand, I remember when...

you gotta be runnin haliges in ahood like that. I must say it's bizarrely out of porportin but I like it ;)

SeaMountain

No PH's? It does look very nice. What are the dimensions of the tank itself? I have a 15g Designer Tank from AGA in my office. The top is only 13x13 inches and stands 26" tall. Has a weenie 12" 8watt fluorescent in it right now with some :::cough::: Tiger Barbs, Zebra Danios, OttoCats and a few snails. Nice tank and the kids love it when parents come in.

Pretty vertical and I would have to do quite a bit of customizing to make it into a good nano. Your tank looks wider and not as tall as my 15g.

Keep posting updates. I'm curious to see how it plays out. May have to drop a few nickels into mine! ;)

its a standard 15 high....same footprint as a 10...i think 20X10 and 18 inches tall

i think the prizm and penguin mini provide a good amount of current.....

definitel will have clams...and mixed corals...i think zoo's ricordia, and a few sps.....

now i must wait through the cycle....i can't stand it!!!!

the reason i thought it may lead to algae problems is beacuase it looks like it has no powerhead and the sand is a great place for detruis to build up, which will lead to high nutrient levels and then algae probs.......

Hey Drew,

As long as you have some clean up crew for the sand (sifter, snails, stars, ect.), you won't have to worry about tufty's concerns. Great looking tanks BTW!!!!

Sea - tiger barbs? I think this is fodder for the flame page you started!! :)

my point exactly. the initial concern doesn't make sense. if you go back and read the post it says...

"from my experience deep sand beds do not work well in small tanks because there is not enough surface area to colonise.

it may lead to algae problems so keep good flow"

and while i agreed that it may do little to aid in denitrification, i could not see how or why a deep sand bed of any size could "lead to algae problems"

to try and prove my point . there is a large surface area in the sand bed and detruis can build up in there and reach lower levels of the sand bed which will then remain there for the whole exsistance of the sand bed and are near impossible to remove unless the sand bed is taken out. The build up begins when the reefer usually ignores water flow near the sandbed because they might have some sand splashing around or only have powerheads by the surface, then uneaten food or animal excreation will build up behind rocks and in the sand which will then lead to higher nutrient levels which cause nuisance algae...... there is my attempt to explain my theory

thanks ant

Archived