Cultivated Reef

dosing iodine?

silverdust

silverdust

Is iodine contained in your salt mix, or do you need to dose? I'm in the process of setting up a 2.5g that's going to be coral/inverts only. Because the tank is so small, I don't want to risk overdosing on anything but want to take proper care of the future inhabitants. Any info is welcome. Thank you!

Helfrichs Chick

Do NOT does anything you dont test for... EVER. On a second note I personally dose iodine, Lugols, one drop every week and a half-ish. I do however test every 2 weeks. I also add strontium and magnesium. My .02

Helfrichs Chick

^ depends on how in depth you want to get and what salt your using. I would say thats a safe generalization, however I have noticed since I starting dosing Mag, stront, and iodine my zoas are growing MUCH faster. In a 2.5 you shouldnt have to does anything but sure could if you wanted to.... again ONLY if you test for it. Good luck

silverdust

Wow, thanks for the quick replies! I didn't even know there were tests for iodine, for some reason it never even crossed my mind :slap: Thank you both for the info!

• 1 month later...

Here is my advice; do not dose iodine, especially in a tank your size. I had two inverts (emerald and fire shrimp) die after three weeks of iodine supplementation, and a mushroom coral that collapsed -- and my tank is a 10g, and it's doing a lot better ever since i stopped dosing.

if you have inverts in the tank who molt i generally discourage iodine dosage. iodine doesnt help a molt, it just makes the things molt more frequently. this isnt a good thing really because before a molt, the invert has to go through a long process of growing a new molt uinder the old and sucking in nutrients from the old. plus the actually shedding of the exoskeleton is a very stressful experience and the most likely time for it to die. in short, no need to dose because the thing will get all the iodine it needs from the salt mix you use and the food it eats.

Archived