Cultivated Reef

Where did Sexy go?

JonEwald

Hey everyone,

Title kinda says it all. Came into work this morning to find my Sexy Shrimp missing from his usual perches in my office pico. After searching everywhere in the tank and even moving around the rockwork to inspect, I still can't find him. Tank info is below.

Tank: TOM Mini-Deco 1gal

Filter: Red Sea Nano-Filter

Inhabitants:

Sexy Shrimp (MIA)

Pom Pom Crab

Astrea Snail

Bumble Bee Snail

Nassarius Snail

Coral:

Kenya Tree Frag

Small Mushroom

Anyone have any ideas as to what could have happened to the little guy? Maybe did the Pom Pom crab eat him?? :unsure:

hopefully hiding b/c of a molt?

bring sexy back!!! :(

^^^^ I've got 6 and I only know of 4 atm...I hope my other 2 are okay also!

Haven't seen a molt, but won't put it past anyone eating it. Here's to hoping the lil guy shows up tomorrow at feeding time.

One of mine kept ending up in my overflow, then one day I found it chopped in half in the fuge. Then the bristleworms got to it and that was that.

You've got some snails there that I wouldn't be surprised if they ate a shrimp if he started molting too close to the sandbed. My Nassarius snails ate a crab who was molting on the sand bed. It happens.

Sorry to report it but Sexy is gone. :( The pom pom crab did it and he claimed another victim overnight. My nass snail was his latest meal.

Guess I can't trust a crab, right guys?

told ya :P crabs are evil

I'm waiting for the gang war in my BioCube between my two pompoms and my 2 mantis

avalanche1201

sorry to hear that...i had 3 sexy and lost one of em right away :(

im gonna be getten some pom poms...i know there a crab but i hear there the safest...plus there so damn cool looken I have to risk it

silverdust
Crabs are evil

one of my pompoms took over my Mantis shrimps cave and is still alive.

I'm sorry, but I find that statement hilarious. Go little crab! (Don't hate me Argent!) :P

Jon, I was planning on keeping a pom pom and maybe a couple of sexies in my 2.5g so I have a couple of questions.

How long had they been in the tank together?

Did you ever notice the pom pom picking on the sexy?

Was the shrimp significantly smaller than the crab?

Did you specifically feed them or were they CUC only?

I ask the last question because I've been reading that hermit crabs may attack snails, etc because they don't find enough food. I'm just a newb so any information would be appreciated. Sorry for the loss of your little shrimp!

How long had they been in the tank together?

Did you ever notice the pom pom picking on the sexy?

Was the shrimp significantly smaller than the crab?

Did you specifically feed them or were they CUC only?

They had been in the tank together for about 10 days. I bought them both at the same time.

The pom pom was always very reclusive and I would only see it leave it cave during feeding. So no, I never saw it picking on the sexy shrimp or the nass snail that he also ate.

The sexy shrimp was about the size of the body of the pom pom.

They were fed every 2-3 days some Formula 1.

silverdust

Thank you for the information, Jon. My LFS has a pom pom in with some tiny sexies (no rock for him to hide in) so I'll ask them if they've noticed the crab picking on the shrimp. I've been reading all I can find on pom poms and this is the first I've heard of them killing and eating tankmates. Are you going to take the crab back and get more sexies?

sexies are best in pairs, trios or swarms :)

I prefer swarms :P

Sorry to hear about your loss, but I think a trio might actually make it :)

sexies are best in pairs, trios or swarms :)

I prefer swarms :P

Sorry to hear about your loss, but I think a trio might actually make it :)

pairs don't seem to work. I had a pair and they didn't really hang out with each other that much.

I was planning on adding 2 more to get the trio. Just picked the one sexy shrimp up since it was all the LFS had at the time.

I do plan on keeping sexy shrimp in the future, but I think this time they will get a species tank and not be kept with any crabs.

silverdust, as for the pom pom I do plan to keep him. I'm debating on a new tank mate for him right now actually. But this tank mate will be something that can defend itself

firstimereefer

I have had a trio of sexies for like 4 monthes and they never hang out together. On anthoer note I highly doubt it was the pom pom crabe who did it, unleass it was during a molt. Pom pom crabs are very docile and usually pick at food in the water or detrius. You hay have a hitchhiker who did it, or the sexies did on their own from some sort. Just my 2 cents.

my pompoms are aggressive as hell - they will shoot out of their caves at high speed in an attempt to grab whatever food may be floating past them - waving their anemones to chase everything else away.

spastic evil little monsters

My pom pom is quite excited and is far from docile on feeding day as well.

This LR came from my established reef tank and the only hitchhiker I have seen was a small pod, which also has gone missing come to think of it....

firstimereefer

A friend of mine and my former pom pom were very timid, never attacked anything. This would be the first case I have heard of a po pom attacking and killing something. I had it with my sexy shrimp and I lost my crab before I lost my sexy (they are still alive).

Archived