Pod Your Reef

One thing thats confusting me

13eardy

Lighting, Ive been reading through and hearing things about retrofits and bookworms?!?!? Its all got me very confused!

I have a 18x10x10 tank and am willing to make my own hood, I just want some ideas about lighting set-ups. Lets say I wanted to keep everything but the very high light species (eg clams)

I look forward to getting to know you all!

bamann345

Is the tank around 9 gallons?

You have a couple options...

www.ahsupply.com has a retro kit of 2x36 watts for 72 watts total. The reflector measures 17.5'Lx7'w. This will cost you $65 plus bulbs, so you are looking at $100. There will be some wiring but very easy to do!

www.hellolights.com is another option for lights, they have about anything you would want! They have a 96 watt quad lighting system that is $97 for the complete hood, I think fans included, I wish I had a reason to buy that. There is a thread on the forum about that light not too long ago. They also have the 95 watt retro kit too. It is 18.5" L and 7" wide, a little longer than your tank and that runs $130.00 with a 50/50 bulb.

There are many more options out there, the 13watt kits, and having 4 13 watt bulbs. And then you can buy the bulbs and ballasts seperate. I have never done this, too much work and not worth my time.

I hope this works, if you have any questions just ask! The dumb people might flame you but the nice people will take time to anwser them!:)

William Mann

ive located some T5's which will fit my tank, it can accomdate 2x 36 watt T5's at 7100k. What in your opinion could I comtably keep under this?

I would of got the 96 watt complete set from HelloLights but unfortunatly they do not ship internationally :s

Also I have the oppurtunity to get a Piccolo Skimmer. Would you reccomend running one on a nano reef?

bamann345

I dont know much about the T5s. They are really just coming to the states. I am thinking about getting them to help with the VHOs I have one a 125 gallon tank, we will see. With the skimmer, you will get many different anwsers, I personally dont run one on my 6 gallon, I do run on one the 125, but big difference there, so I cant help with that!

Ive heard good reports from the UK, what I was mainly worried about was the temperature at 7100, this seem a little low?

bamann345

I think the 7100k bulb wont be too "low". It might not be the crisp white look of a 10000k bulb would give your tank but I think it will be fine. Natural sunlight is around the 6500k area I believe. I guy around here grows coral in a grow out tank with a 1000 watt, yes, 1000 watt MH bulb at 6500k and he has awesome results.

my 2 cents!

thanks for the helo bamann. I think I shall go for the T5's, I shall will take a wee peak at them in the LFS and ask to see a demonstration B) depending on how they look I will get them :)

thanks again!

DeskJockey

If the T5 7100k bulbs are anything like the 7100k PC bulbs that come with the Via Aqua tanks then you can be certain they will have a yellow cast to them. But then again maybe they wont...I would ask around like some of the UK users. See how they feel about the color of the bulb.

bamann345

Can you take a picture of them on and off? I have never seen T5s in person... I am interested in what they look like. What size nano do you have that you can fit these on?

ASL T5 Compact Professional Series Lighting Units

if im reading it right it is 45cm long with ajustable legs. which is why im going into LFS to make sure without commiting and have it ending up 2 big :)

Archived