Innovative Marine Aquariums

TUNZE prices.........

Glenn

This is venting from a thread at RC. Since alot of people there are TUNZE junkies I figured if I posted this there I would be starting a flame war. And I want to see if I am the only one who feels this way without the TUNZE followers hijacking the thread.

I personally like to have the best equipment because I believe you get what you pay for. And that higher dollar stuff is usually better built, lasts longer, less prone to malfunction, etc. But when I go to the TUNZE web site and look at the prices my jaw slaps the floor. I mean really $60.34 for a 166 gph PH.....GET REAL!!! The thing is ugly and I don't see any difference between it and a PH costing 1/4 of the price (maxi-jets: reliable, cheap, solid). And if you want to get technical, it's 230v......HELLO this is the US, the only thing around here that can power that thing is schools and commercial/industrial places (Europe runs different voltages than we do, in case you didn't know :P ). Don't even get me started on the Turbelle Classic. This thing looks like a holdover from a PH I might find in my great grandparents tank. And despite it being ugly as sin, they want almost $200 for it.....sheeesh! Well atleast it's the right voltage. Their flters are no better. Granted the method behind it is sound but I can go and get a Magnum 350 (or insert whatever brand you like) for about half the price.

I'm sorry if I have offended anyone here that is into TUNZE. But these prices are just rediculous. I understand that this is an imported product and therefore will be higher, but it seems they are taking a relatively cheap piece of equipment and charging a 400% + markup.

" I personally like to have the best equipment because I believe you get what you pay for. And that higher dollar stuff is usually better built, lasts longer, less prone to malfunction, etc. But when I go to the TUNZE web site and look at the prices my jaw slaps the floor. I mean really $60.34 for a 166 gph PH.....GET REAL!!! "

you like the best equipment, and dont mind paying for that, then you think tunze is expensive, then go on about "super" maxi's.

course you get what you pay for, and if maxi's suit you, so be it, as long as your happy.

So in total what ya saying, cos youve lost me now, one minute your praising quality stuff, then your slating it, then praising maxi's ????.

Sorry, do appologise, i run tunze, and to me they are quiet, ultra reliable with failsafe electrical circuitry, alarm features, PROPER wave surging and not "click and bang", fully controllable and not just on/off.

I will agree they're expensive, but quality like you say is best !!

cheers

lee

:) :) :) :)

What I am saying is there has to be limits. I expect some types of equitpment to be expensive and I don't mind paying for that. But come on, a PH has no need to be nothing more than copper winding with electricity pumped through it to turn an impeller. If you want fail safe circuitry, install a GFCI (being an electrician and installing very expensive equipment I know first hand how a ground fault detection device can save stuff, and they are not expensive).

My point is that TUNZE is either just trying to make something complicated that does not need to be or they are getting fat off people by marking stuff up to rediculous prices. I could set up a reef tank with everything completely automated (I know because I have installed systems in water treatment plants that can handle all necessary dosing, feeding, top off, monitoring, etc.) But I won't because it has been my experience that simplicity is the key to success. All complicated designs fail with time because there is simply too much that can go wrong.

I'm sorry that our opinions differ and I am glad that you like the products. In the end all that counts is whether or not we are content with what we have.

I have to agree with Glenn on this one. :)

I understand what he is saying. Sure I dont mind paying a little more for higher quality stuff, but not when the price margin is LARGE.

Eg most of my home cinema equipment is Sony. And generally Sony's stuff costs more than other equivalent manufacturer. But the important point is that although Sony have high quality etc, thier price isnt WAYYYYY over the top compared to others.

Well, we are all different, so ;P

yep, like you both say, and i'll agree .....

if it works for you then so be it.

mine were bought from germany semi-directly, so worked out far cheaper than the english market, and although mine and all my other gear is on a tiny tank (see link below this insert), it can be and will be upgrade-able to a larger system.

Most of my gear is geared for tanks that are 4-5 times the size of mine, but again, on upgrading my tank all i'll need is the tank and lighting.

And again, and lastly, if your happy with your results from other pumps then that is great, saying this i have two maxi mp1200 in the bottom of my tank now.

Saying this though, they have jammed and the tank's been running for a month tops, ive turned them off for now, lesson learnt here, don't put maxi's low down.

lee

:) :) :) :)

Archived