Cultivated Reef

My 6" by 30.5" DIY Recirculating skimmer...

The Propagator

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Needreefunds

Sweet D! Nice job.

Have you done the mods yet, or are you happy as is?

Oh yea, (2) oohs, and at least an aah and a half.

:lol:

The Propagator

:haha:

No mods done yet.

So far I am happy with it as is.

There was some debate as to wether or not the stock venturi worked well enough on RC from a few folks that have tried it on their DIY skimmers though.

Personaly I think it works on mine because I glued the 1" venturi directly to my 3/4" union which reduces the intake before the venturi to 3/4" from the chamber to the pump.

I think it is actualy working just as if you were to reduce the out let to gain more pressure.

I am going to do the gate valve mod for sure though.

The mesh mod? I am up in the air about it for now.

I think that once the gate valve is installed that I can fine tune it enough as is to REALY make some stinky black skimmate.

I may try and make a venturi though to see what sort of performance I can get with a smaller one with a better desing though.

The Propagator

Broken in Smimmate and foam production.

THIS THING IS EVIL !!!

It litteraly blows the mud and crap out of the neck when it builds up onto the collection cup lid LOL !! (UNLIKE "some" exspensive units that are suposed to this cheap 'O D.I.Y. skimmer one does.)

skimmate8brokenin.jpg

skimmate7brokenin.jpg

skimmate6brokenin.jpg

Thats 2 days worth of skimmate BTW ;)

I will snap a photo of the collection container so you can get an idea of how much this dude skims.

My tank is CRYSTAL clear now. :)

• 1 year later...
nitrotmann

Here ya go Prop...

ooooooo aaaahhhhhh!

Great job, I'll be starting my copy of randy's this month. I'll use some of your tricks though. Should be great for my new 125g!

The Propagator

Thanks Brad !

You don't need a big tank to make some thing like this though.

All you need to do is scale it down to your tank and needs.

The same rules still apply just down sized. ;)

So Prop... what do you think would be appropriate for scaling this down for a Mini Bow 7 gallon tank? I was thinking about 2" pipe and about 12" tall or so. This would be for a MB7 LPS, ZOO, and Clam tank, with a CUC and a couple small chromis fishies.

Thanks,

Jade

The Propagator

Trust me it does :D this thing even blows away a Tunze.

nitrotman,

You don't even really need a skimmer on a 7 gallon tank dude. Just keep up with weekly water changes and keep an eye on things.

Trust me it does :D this thing even blows away a Tunze.

nitrotman,

You don't even really need a skimmer on a 7 gallon tank dude. Just keep up with weekly water changes and keep an eye on things.

a 7g with clams...id say skimmer cant hurt.

but if you do it, turn the skimmer off for a while daily when you feed phyto, or else all your expensive phyto will go right to your skimmer...

The Propagator
LOL, okay then, How about for my 29g aggressive tank?

4"-5" Diameter reaction chamber about 12- 14" tall would do nicely with the right pump.

The Propagator

Sha.....

I didn't do a god damn thing either.

One minute I am posting in the DIY self forum in the DIY stand thread and the next day I am banned.

You can see me last post there.

Ass hats I tell ya. Total ass hats.

Archived