Innovative Marine Aquariums

Coldwater Tank

musicalmike

Things are doing well. The berries for the most part have looked really good. They have been open and closed at various times, but the closing seems to be more frequent when they have had too much light. I did have some die off of various critters and polyps do to transfer from the ocean to the tank, but that was to be expected. There were a couple tube worms and brittle stars who survived as well as other things I have not yet identified. For the most part I am very impressed with what survived and how hardy coldwater species appear to be. I’m sure If I would have taken better care of the scallop when I removed it from the rig rather then throw it in my game bag with all the others, it would have proved more rewarding. It was much more of a task then I though it would be.

Once I started to submerge the berry encrusted scallop shells into the tank, there has been some settling of the rocks and a few fragments and polyps have broken off and been distributed to different areas of the tank. Some with higher or lower light and water flow rates. It will be interesting to see which area thrives more. The berries are definitely sensitive to light and I have cut mine back to about 7 hours of daylight. I’m even thinking of diffusing my canopy daylight bulb to simulate the lighting conditions they come from. I have my lights on a tree tier system with nightlights coming on before and after the daylights and moon lights for late night.

(1) 36 watt True Actinic 03 Blue straight pin

(1) 36 watt 10,000K Daylight straight pin

(3) 0.75 watt Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED

When we dove, after we got through the first layer/thermocline to where the visibility cleared up, it was about 50’. There was not very much direct light down at that depth. So I’m thinking I have too much light…any thoughts? Remember, the water temp was about 58 degrees, so I hope your tank is in sync. On that particular day, the current wasn’t moving real hard, but I could feel and see the water and food flowing through the structure. This leads me two my next two thoughts. Water flow rate and feeding schedule. In general the flow rate and available food source is high and constant. For this reason, I have been feeding them everyday. I think it would be better if I split up their food portion and give them a morning and evening feeding…..any thoughts? Yesterday, along with a complete filter cleaning and 2 gal water change, I added a Hydor Koralia power head to my tank. I already had the stock pump that came with the Biocube 29 system, and have added a Rene 600 power head. I also have a Rena XP2 filter/pump running my chiller, so with this addition of the Hydor……the flow rate is awesome. The berries really seem to like the increased flow.

Yesterday when I removed my skimmer located in the middle chamber of my filtration system, I found my giant starfish attached to the bottom of it. When I removed him to place him into the main tank, I noticed he had a death grip on my blue ringed top snail. Dam that was a cool shell.

A few new pictures of the tank

post-22564-1223496579_thumb.jpg

post-22564-1223496593_thumb.jpg

post-22564-1223496607_thumb.jpg

Here is a cool shot of the two gobies close to each other

post-22564-1223496619_thumb.jpg

The usually keep their distance, but they joust every once and a while.

• 11 months later...

Archived