ReefCleaners.org

Margarita snail? w/o shell!

MDeth

....I'll have to get a pic when i can but my g/f had 2 margarita snails. One got cannabalized by her hermit (I watched it) and the second look like it died.

I pulled out the 2nd snails shell awhile back assuming it was gone. Now, I see a nudibranch looking snail! It looks like a freaking margarita?

Anybody ever heard of a snail living w/o a shell ?

steelerguy

A snail that has it shell ripped off has about as much chance of surviving as a person having their chest and abdomen removed. :)

A snail that has it shell ripped off has about as much chance of surviving as a person having their chest and abdomen removed. :)

Inhabitants are

Randalls Goby

False perc

blueleg hermit

cleaner shrimp

fire shrimp

margarita snail

3x bumblebee snails

Nothing really predatory...are they actually attatched to the shell? It looks like there is a small section on his back where its torn/detatched from the shell

Inhabitants are

Randalls Goby

False perc

blueleg hermit

cleaner shrimp

fire shrimp

margarita snail

3x bumblebee snails

Nothing really predatory...are they actually attatched to the shell? It looks like there is a small section on his back where its torn/detatched from the shell

That blueleg hermit is definitely predatory.

That blueleg hermit is definitely predatory.

Its actually a scavanger not a predator :/

...he cant climb up the back glass (its a 15" high) and the rockwork goes nowhere near there. This little snail/stomatella is usually up there and has been around for about a week now :P

Its actually a scavanger not a predator :/

...he cant climb up the back glass (its a 15" high) and the rockwork goes nowhere near there. This little snail/stomatella is usually up there and has been around for about a week now :P

That just means you haven't been around them long enough. They're evil. If they get hungry, they'll kill snails for food.

That just means you haven't been around them long enough. They're evil. If they get hungry, they'll kill snails for food.

I know, if you read my post he has a margarita snail shell :)

It happens to the best of us ;)

It honestly doesn't look like a Nudi at all...I've seen a few (in my tank and the LFS as well as hundreds of pics online)

Still trying to get a pic...but I did find a 1/2" diameter brittle star in my tank!

seahorsedreams

This is a really bad pic put here is a stomatella... like a slug with a little piece of shell on their back. But they are indeed a snail and a very good part of your clean up crew. I'll try to get a better shot when he comes back out.

stomatella.jpg

If he climbs up the glass this is what he will look like.

stomatella-1.jpg

Do you have a pic of the margarita snail? Do they have a little bit of mother of pearl coming through the top of th eshell or when you pick it up and look "inside"?

Like this?

acove2.jpg

Then I took a dremel to it just to have a peek... beautiful snail.

acove.jpg

Yup beautiful snail but one major flaw..... they are a cold water snail and will die in your tank eventually and prematurely. And by cold I mean cold. *dips her toes in the pacific*

As far as you starfish they are probably an asterina

star2.jpg

or a micro brittle.

ophiuroid.jpg

Oephirids.jpg

Sorry to bombard ya with pics :-)

Archived