SaltCritters.com

my take

badpacket

badpacket

OK, my take is this. I live in SF Bay, and have pretty good water quality, one of the few benefits of living here.

I've had a 29g reef for about 8 months, bought someone's established tank as it worked out much cheaper than a similar one I was going to build.

The guy recommended buying my sw from the lfs. Did that for several months, but at $1/g, it was a little expensive. So, about 5 months ago, started using RO/DI from the supermarket vending machine @$0.35/g and made my own.

Everything went well. Decided to try using my tap water. Got the Salifert Pho test kit, and I have 0 Pho registering in my water. So, after about 2 months of using it, I started noticing a lot more hair algae. Haven't bought a good Silica test kit, however my water district's annual report indicates my water averages 8.8mg/l Si ! But I had known that.

Took the chance, and of course it took a while for it to kick in I guess, but I'm paying for it now.

Get yourself a $30 Tap Water Purifier from Fosters and Smith $30. Apparently it produces good RO/DI, between 50-300g per $15 cartidge, depending upon your water quality. Even if you have bad water, at 50g/cart, your water ends up costing you only $0.30/g, and you don't have to lug 5g jugs around.

Lots of people swear by these on reef and rc, so they must be good. You could spend $150 and get a bigger/better unit, however for a nano, this should work fine.

Archived