Coral Vue Hydros

Small tank built into hood of 75gal

ToeCutter

ToeCutter

I wanted a frogfish, and I was building a new canopy for my 75 gallon. So, I decided to build a small tank right into the canopy.

My photography skills are non-existant, but here goes:

mini-CT2%20008.jpg

Flip top access:

mini-CT2%20006.jpg

View into tank:

mini-CT2%20002.jpg

The froggy in his penthouse suite:

Notice the white lure over his head, which is attached to a "pole" above his mouth.

Also, notice his webbed "foot" against the glass.

mini-CT2%20004.jpg

The tank is a custom glass one, with a drilled overflow on the side near the back. It's slightly smaller than a standard 5 gallon, about a 4.6.

The tank is plumbed into the 75 gallon, so it's not actually a nano. The main return to the 75 is teed to the nano, and so is the closed loop on the 75. By having two feeds into the tank, either could fail and water would still circulate. The "penthouse" tank overflows into the 75.

The first question I always get about the tank is heat. Heat really isn't an issue, even though the tank is wedged in between 400w MH lights. The water just turns over too quickly to get heated.

There's no lighting on the small tank, it just gets some from the halides, which are partially obstructed by wood panels, and a lot of actinic light, which run above the tank.

The canopy/tank have been up for a couple of months, and I've had the frogfish for about a month.

I'm pretty happy with the results.

wow man, you get my vote for most original tank design. verrrry cool. ive never thought of doing that, but it does look awesome. more pics if possible??

Metznreef

that is so fricken cool. you better get a patent on that before someone, oh say me, steals your idea and markets it;) (jk) that frogfish looks really cool too.

wetworx101

Well, I asked if I could post a pic on your behalf at reefcentral, but I'm even more glad to know you are a member and can DIY. Once again, Great idea man! A true work of art and creativity with practicality and function...the coolest mod I have seen in months!

Archived