ReefCleaners.org

sun coral owners

Uhuru

how long did it take for your sun coral to open in the daytime? I've had mine for 2 days now, yesterday I tried feeding it but it only peeked out with it's mouth. Didn't open up at night either. Today (with lights on) I put a water bottle over it and squirted defrosted cyclops into the tank mixed with live plankton and freeze dried cyclop-eeze. The baby ones opened up and the big ones ALMOST opened up but I guess decided not to. I squirted so much food into my tank, and only the baby polyps ate, so I'm going to have to do a water change tomorrow with all the crap that fell to the ground (thank God for BB). Anyways just wondering when I should try again, because this is gonna pollute my tank quick!

Right now the lights are off and its starting to open a wee bit, but I'm not going to squirt more food into the tank. I'd really like to get it to open in the daytime!

ProFlatlander15

My sun coral, when I had it, took the longest out of any coral to open up in my tank. Like 4 days or so. I just kep trying to feed and and eventually it it was open about 50% of the time or and close to it about 75%. I usually fed mine mysis with wooden tweezers so I wouldn't pollute the rest of the tank. I like the bottle idea, but it was just too messy. Give it time and keep trying!

05XRunner

mine took about a week and half to fully open up in my tank.

Now i feed it about 3 times a week. its polyps are very very large now when open.

bubbles3660
Right now the lights are off and its starting to open a wee bit, but I'm not going to squirt more food into the tank. I'd really like to get it to open in the daytime!

It takes awhile to train them. Mine open fully in the morning and evening now. But for awhile only half the colony would open in the morning and the other half at night.

post-26405-1178024278_thumb.jpg

You've got the right idea about introducing cyclops/phyto first to lure them out and then spot feeding with larger meat. But here's another trick that works for me: Place a house lamp with a regular bulb next to the tank ~1/2 hour before you want to feed. For some reason the suns like this type of light frequency.

--bubbles

why did i put this in the invert forum? lol

unfortunately the sun coral will be traded tomorrow. just wasn't worth the risk of killing off my sps corals to feed this guy in my little tank. yeah I lost my monti frag today and I attribute it to polluting the water with too much food. maybe when I get my 70g set up I will try it again.

Archived