ReefCleaners.org

How to take care of Electric Flame Scallop

Helpinsmepls

Helpinsmepls

Anyone have easy step by step information on how to take care of Electric Flame Scallops.

Can they hurt fish?

Thanks

coldshutter

mine died for no reason. I just like turned inside out one day, it had been in my tank for like 3 months. Alot of feeding was keeping it happy, at night and early morn.

I don't mean to hijack your thread but I am curious, does anyone know what the "electric" part of electric flame scallop is? I've seen the flashing line on their mantles but cannot find any information as to the cause of it. Is it some sort of bio-electricity or bioluminescence, or is it simply reflected light?

The Electric flame Scallop is from deep waters which is why it lights up. They don't last in a home aquarium since you can't provide the same type of environment that a deep water creature needs ie, water pressure from the depths.

According to Ron Shimek's Marine Invertebrates, flame scallops are "Good reef aquarium animals. Impossible to maintain without phytoplankton additions."

He adds:

"Do well under normal reef salinity and temperature, but need lots of food for good health. Are reclusive and will hide. The brilliant beauty of the tentacles extending from a cave may make keeping them worthwhile. Should not be kept with mobile predators like whelks, large sea stars, hermit crabs, or true crabs. Many fishes will also pluck at and kill them." (page 288)

--Diane

Archived