Coral Vue Hydros

Where can I get South Down?

Nepthea

What exacly is South Down, and where do I get it?

I called a few Home Depot's, and they seem to have no idea what I'm talking about. One guy was trying to tell me it was a concrete mix???!!!

I'm just looking to have a 2" sand bed for my tank. Not too deep as the tank is only 12" high.

Thanks.B)

I called a few Home Depot's, and they seem to have no idea what I'm talking about. One guy was trying to tell me it was a concrete mix!!!

actually, that guy's right. it is technically concrete mix, or part of it. it's the sand part naturally. :)

home depot is usually the source you go to unless a couple of bags happen to fall off the truck, badabing badaboom! you might find yourself the proud owner of such a product. you kiss don satchmo's ring and mebbe we can fix ya up with something! ;)

:P

I was at Home Depot the other day to check out getting some Southdown, but what I found in the garden center was Southdown tropical playsand. It said on the bag "not for use in aquariums". So I'm wondering if this is the wrong product. I didn't buy any but if I want some there was a whole pallet available. Is this the stuff I want? I'm getting ready to set up my new Chris Marks tank and want a decent sandbed. Let me know!

Ok...all the Home Depot people are saying that they only have a sand by Quick Crete?

Is this the right thing? Is south down the product or the manufaturer?

i'm pretty sure the quikrete is all silica sand.

www.quikrete.com/downloads/MSDS%20B%20%20Sands%20and%20gravel.pdf

it can still be used but it doesn't give you the buffering and stuff that aragonite does. (i think toonen goes over that) just make sure it's quikrete sand and not a mix. otherwise you've got yourself one hunka sidewalk there. X) good luck!

btw, southdown's both name brand and company (i think). they're in easton, pa or something. they mine the stuff from florida i thought tho. ???

RogueCorps

Hey Nepthea,

Yep, Southdown, Yardright, and Purearagonite.com's products area all Aragonite calcite oolithic sands. I agree that Quickcrete's product is a silica sand. You can test for a calcite sand by adding vinegar to a small amount of it. Aragonite will fizz, silica won't.

These aragonite products are also a fine particle sized product. Much finer than the "sugar-sized" sand sold at a few LFSs here. It's just the stuff you want to support DSB infauna.

Cajastan! buy it up! Save me some. :)

-Rogue

My ears is ringin'. We run the Southdown racket 'round here. If you go through another family, we'll go to the matresses over 'dis thing. Consigliere Tinyreef has been put in charge of our sand interests. Everything goes through him. I wanna know nothin' about it.

Caj, that's the stuff. They found out we were all using SD for reefs and they started stamping the bags with the "not for aquarium" label. From what I understand, SD comes from the same place as the 'spensive "aquarium use" stuff. Must have been cutting into sales. It's a blue and red bag with a happy little kid wearing overalls on the front. Says "Southdown" across the top, and "Tropical Play Sand" in bigger letters across the front.

And southdown is the manufacturer, not the product. They also make bags of gravel and pebbles and all sorts of landscaping crap. "Southdown Tropical Play Sand" is what you're looking for. Do a search for it on RC, I know someone posted a SKU number for it a while back.

Wings..do you have an extra bag laying around? I went to 3 Home Depot's and a Lowes tonight with no luck!!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

Located 120+ bags at Commerce Township HD!!

I'm am now the VERY proud owner of 4 bags!!!

YAY!!!!!:D

OMG!!!! How sweet!!! I'll be hitting up the Home Depot on Monday bright and early.

You guys have totally made my day! Don Satchmo I worship the ground you walk on, but sorry I won't be buying your sand. Being so far away I hope you'll forgive little ole me. (do I need to buy you off, grease your palm, pay the gatekeeper? Just got my nano-reef cami, hehehe!)

Some Southdown, a scoop of my nano's sand and a scoop of some LS from the Gulf of Mexico from the awesome marine aquarium store and I'm all set.

Logistics aside, if you get that sand you can expect a visit from some of our goons. Unless of course we get a pic of you in the "I've got crabs" thong and cami. Then this whole unfortunate situation will go away.

oh geez, don satchmo, do i haveta wash out my cooler again!? another arm, another leg, another wing, another polyp. it smelled like re-fried dead anemones last time! :x

caja & nepth,

just post a pic of the cheeky side :woot: and i'll take care of it wit da boss. it's an offer you cannot refuse! :

Tiny, I will need a finger or two to re-cycle my tank. I'm fairly sure Don Satchmo will vouch for me as a made reefer. As a matter of fact, if I can recall correctly, Don Satchmo kisses my ring (among other things).

There is but one true family, and that would be the buenoreefarino family, headed by Chef boyareefdio as a front for a very shady crak, err I mean character.

beball504

So if I do get my hands on this South Down sand from Home Depot...do I have to rinse the sand out as usual before use?

I didnt rinse mine. I tried the rinse some at first, but it clogged the drain in my tub!

I just dumped it in the tank, and skimmed the foamy crap off the top. Then ran my HOB stuffed with floss for a day or two. Now, its crystal clear!

Archived