Cultivated Reef

Fish combination?

melmaq

I'm trying to plan what kind of fish to put into my 29 gallon aquarium. It's been running for a couple of months now and I plan on putting some coral in there also. Would it be okay for me to put a yellow watchman goby, royal gramma, firefish, and a six-line wrasse in there? Is that too many fish? Thanks for the replies.

melmaq,

First off, like most things in life "it depends" is the best answer available to many questions. What works for some will fail miserably for others. With that said, I think that three fish should probably by your limit if you are also considering corals. The more fish you have, the more bioload they will produce which will not be conducive to keeping corals healthy. You probably already know this buy you should add the least aggressive/territorial first and should wait 2-3 weeks before adding the next fish. I don't have any experience with gobies or firefish, but I would be inclined to believe that one of those two would be the least aggressive of the bunch. Also, I think you may have to choose between the royal gramma and the wrasse. I have a six-line (my favorite fish) and I have tried to add a gramma with him when he was in a 100G tank and the royal gramma was killed. Here's a link that MAY be helpful as a quick reference to which fish are compatible:

Compatibility Chart

(Note: I am not sure that dwarf wrasses such as the six-line are considered one and the same as the wrasses listed on this chart, but I have typically considered them that way)

HTH

Archived