inTank Media Baskets

Exploding worm.... what in farks name happened here?

baj

Cliff's notes: A worm exploded in front of my eyes, wtf??!!

It wriggled around for a few seconds like it was searching for something, it kept trying to swim up like it wanted to jump out of the water then it stopped wriggling and exploded in a gooey mess, its totally f'ed up my head I think I'm going mental.

Dudes I am serious, it literally blew up, I am not kidding. If i'd said it shouted "i is coming virginians" then I would be joking, but this is serious, it swam and then blew up fellas.

Many polychaete worms "explode" as a means of dispersing gametes into the water and reproducing. They will usually either swim to the top of the water level where there is a lot of plankton and explode or move into a high current area. Its a special way of reproducing called epitoky.

monkeytrumpets
Dudes I am serious, it literally blew up, I am not kidding. If i'd said it shouted "i is coming virginians" then I would be joking, but this is serious, it swam and then blew up fellas.

:haha: I'm sorry your worm exploded. It is kinda funny though.

It's actually pretty cool that you witnessed this. And nice to know that your critters are going about their normal behavior so happily...

--Diane

Archived