inTank Media Baskets

Dumb Question # 2

horsehunter

horsehunter

I am still in the planning and gathering items together stage, and was wondering If most people use a glass top between their lights and the tank. If so are you better with a tight fitting top with power heads inside the tank to limit evaporation or a HOB filter with the top cut out to accept it?

Would a Aquaclear 300 be ok for a 25 gallon tank (24x12x20) or would I be better with a smaller HOB and a powerhead or two?

Thanks Frank

audandash

I am still pretty new to the nano but from what i have read and tried the glass lid helps with evaporation. i use a small hob and a power head and i get really good water movement. the hob helps break the surface tension and where the powerhead and hob filters meet in the middle of the tank i get a cool curren that the fish seems to like.

audandash

i dont have anything in the hob as far as media goes its just there to stir things up.

hope this helps a bit

I'd forgo a glass lid....IMO you want some significant evaporation each day from a reef tank (nothing on the magnitude of 10% or anything..but a decent amount) so that you can make up that evaporation with something like kalkwasser..if you choose to go that route. My second reason for not having the glass lid would be gas exchange....saltwater holds precious little oxygen as it is..and by limiting the air flow over the water surface..you're limiting that oxygen even more. As a matter of fact..I don't think I've ever seen a reef tank of any size with a glass top. (but I haven't seen everything..so...)

HTH,

I use glass lids. :) On all my tanks. Some have full coverage and some are missing the back plastic strip. I found I didn't like having to top off the tank several times a day and the temps seem more stable. During the summer on hot days I remove the tops and run fans blowing on the water for evaporative cooling. That's what works for me.

Archived