ReefCleaners.org

current for my colt

Mmorse

I did the search Ive looked at other colt corals and I cant figure out if my colt is getting too much current. I am running a hob with nothing in it that is directly above the colt. The colt is placed in the center of the tank, and not many of the polyps are extended. Ive seen many pictures of colts and all the polyps are extended. It has also seemed to slump down, which indicates maybe too much current???? any ideas???

i'd agree that what you're probably seeing is too much direct current. try to position the hob or the colt to receive indirect or secondary current (if that makes sense). you don't want the colt or most corals to be the windbreaker (reef crest, where you'd find the stonys instead). softies are more suited for lower/gentler flow with higher nutrients imo.

you want the eddys and swirls to envelop the colt versus a strong linear current. the colt will need to expend a lot of energy/resources to continue to feed and grow under such a condition. usually they can't keep it up or their tissues suffer damage even.

i'd suggest slightly off to one side and toward the center. think of spraying your lawn versus hosing down your car.

Archived