Coral Vue Hydros

Emerald Crab: RIP

bubbles3660

bubbles3660

So I awoke to find one of my emeralds claws up on the substrate this morning. It definitely wasn't molt. Now I'm worried that something is wrong. My params are fine as of two days ago. Temp's running a little hot - 82F. Nothing else is showing sign of stress. The dead crab never shed its carapace - I'm wondering whether it died of complications from that. My other emerald has shed at least once and is twice the size. The only other thing I can think is that it choked on a recent piece of shrimp molt. Any other ideas? I always expected emeralds to be indestructable.

--bubbles

Check the forums for iodine usage. I thought I read somewhere that shrimp and crabs need certain amounts of this for proper molting.

Chupacabras

You don't need iodine.

Sometimes, things just die... keep an eye on the rest of your inhabitants and if your testable readings are good just leave things be.

mark blevins

I was looking in my tank last night and saw what I thought was my emerald crab, but a little bigger with clean or white legs. Then I noticed in back @ bottom of the tank my small e.crab on it's back not moving. I have lost a couple of my small CUC crabs, saw their bodies floating around out of the shell. Thought this was due to them out growing their shells? But now I think this is a hairy leg crab that is bad for reef tank? Tried to get him out last night but, there's alot of hiding places in my rock. Didn't now they molted? If this is a hairy leg any ideas to get it out?

Thanks!

bubbles3660
But now I think this is a hairy leg crab that is bad for reef tank? Tried to get him out last night but, there's alot of hiding places in my rock. Didn't now they molted? If this is a hairy leg any ideas to get it out?

Thanks!

imo, no crab is totally reef safe. They are opportunistic eaters - so it just depends on the individual crab. I've never seen an emerald without hairy legs so it sounds like your critter is something else.

If the one you are trying to catch is an emerald then use a nori clip to coax it out.

--bubbles

bubbles3660

Fooled again! That dead crab was actually molt. My little daugther spotted the second crab hiding in the rockwork and very much alive. I can't believe it was just shell - it looked like the complete critter hairy legs and all. My other emerald sheds in pieces. :huh:

So much for the wake I had planned.

--bubbles

Helpinsmepls
Fooled again! That dead crab was actually molt. My little daugther spotted the second crab hiding in the rockwork and very much alive. I can't believe it was just shell - it looked like the complete critter hairy legs and all. My other emerald sheds in pieces. :huh:

So much for the wake I had planned.

--bubbles

Good deal! Glad it's ok. I have just gotten one over the weekend and they are very entertaining to watch.

Im going to hijack for a min.

I don't understand very much about crabs and im wondering if the emerald crab can live out of water? You know how beach crabs walk around on the beach, im just wonderin.

Thanks

Archived