Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bleaching Coralline?

Nitro Joe

Nitro Joe

I was reading in another thread that compact flourescents can bleach coralline algaes. I have newly cured LR in which the coralline had turned all white, and I was assuming it had died. Can someone tell me if bleaching is synonomous with "killing"? There are areas returning colors, ie. purple or pink, so I also assuming it is growing back.

Smokin-Reefer

Yea, It sounds like it bleched. Give it a few months, and it should all be back to normal.

nothing to worry about.

watch your calc/alk levels too, make sure they are in the range for growing corralline!

OxInYourBox

Corraline bleaching can come from the corraline being exposed to air during water changes (the water acts as a filter to the more intense light i.e. look at the water you just pulled out of your tank in a white bucket and compare it with the new stuff. In my 10G my week old water is yellow and the new is crystal clear). In my tanks I can tell how much water to take out during water changes (I measure in a 5G bucket though) based on the bleaching of the corraline on the back of the tank. It will come back don't worry. Check your levels though. You don't need high calc levels for corraline but you can't get by with low either. HTH

Nitro Joe

Thanks Ox. I think you're right. It's all about being within normal levels of CaCO3 (alkalinity and calcium) as I understand. ...and as with many other things in life, more is not necessarily better. Thanks for the info on the coralline. I'm seeing more grow back slowly everyday, but unfortunately I am getting some significant cyano growth which is annoying. (That's another thread on this forum, entitled "cyanobacteria."

Archived