ReefCleaners.org

hob filters or not?

katydidit

katydidit

Im researching as hard as i can about nano reefs...and this seems to be the place to do it, so here goes. I've heard numerous people say that skimmers arent really necessary if you go with live rock and live sand to do the filtration for you. But then i hear some people say that a hob filter is used (what is the purpose of using it?) and if i were to use one, like the one i have now is a second nature whisper power filter for up to 40 gallons (I'm going to use a 5 gallon tank), would this be ok? secondly, do i keep the biobag inside of it or take it out? lmao, as you can see, i dont know much about this, which is why i came here so i didnt mess up AFTER the fact. Thanks

badpacket

I don't think you want to use any sort of biobags/balls, etc. this will simply become a Nitrite/Nitrate factory, or so I've read. Its counter-productive since you will alerady have a biosphere running in the LS/LR.

Feel free to correct me if necessary anyone.

Some people DO use a small HOB filter, but purely for circulation purposes. Filter media(bioballsect) are NOT used.

Keenan

PS:the filter you have would work nicely!

how about the cartridge with cotton and carbon inside?

i am using that in my hob for my 5.5g tank. i have already taken out the bio-wheel as some of the people suggested. i am only using the cotton cartridge to filter the detritus.

thanks...!

Originally posted by peterk

how about the cartridge with cotton and carbon inside?

i am using that in my hob for my 5.5g tank.  i have already taken out the bio-wheel as some of the people suggested.  i am only using the cotton cartridge to filter the detritus.

thanks...!

I would leave the filter with the cotton and carbon in. Most in here will say you don't need it. I keep mine in cause it filters out any leftover foods and other little particles floating in the water out.

Smokin-Reefer

I wanted to leave my foam in my AQ mini, but I've read that any strainer type material in a hob, will house bacteria. I don't want high nitrates, so I leave the filtering up to the LR.LS, but i still wish i could strain the deterius out of the water column.

any ideas?

katydidit

So if i do use my hob filter, leave the biobag off, and it will just be for circulation purposes. right? And then i will need a powerhead, but where do i find something small enough so it wont be like a monsoon in my small tank? Do i need one or will the filter be enough?

Smokin-Reefer

I think the hob rated to 40 gals would be suffecient for your 5.5 if you were keeping mostly low-mid current corals. However, if you plan to house more, get the smallest ph you can find, one with adjustable flow rates so you could fine tune it to you (and your corals) liking.

:0)

katydidit

are there any brands or sizes i should look for? because all the ph i have seen are for tanks 20g or more, which is best?

offsprg01

Smokin-Reefer if you don't want any bacteria on your filter pad just wash it every other day or so to keep it from going all biological on you.

harbingerofthefish

for PH's check out mini jet 404's. You'll probaly have to order one since most LFS don't sell small items for us nano people. Look around www.marinedepot.com

and on the foam as a bacterial sponge...

I use a top fin pond pump as my PH. It has a 2"x3" foam prefilter. the only real algae growth in my tank is on the PH. All over the sides and a 4" beared blowing in the flow off the nozzle.

badpacket

You might also just want to try putting in an empty filter media bag for several days every week, or whenever the water starts looking less than perfect. Then, just rinse/soak in hot tap water, the chlorine should purify it pretty good.

i agree. I run the carbon filter in my HOB most of the time, but every so often i take it out, RINSE it really well and leave it out for a couple days. I run carbon 24/7 in my 55g and swear by it, but since this small environment (5.5) isnt as well compenstaed with gdagets and whatnot, going both ways cant hurt.

Archived