SaltCritters.com

Sand bed

Klein

:blush: First question from newb.

Setting up Eclipse 6. Most of my final decisions have been made after reading message board and archives from nano-reef.

Retro fit the hood with 2 ritelite, definately switching one bulb to 50/50 from hello.,poss. both. Using poly-filter with Chemi Pure in bio filter. Adding mini powerhead.

Questions:

1) What are your thoughts on CaribSea BLACK sand for SB?

2) MaxiJets have good rep., how about AC MiniJets, or other reliable PH.

and

3) Anyone have experience with green clown goby? LFS (seems reliable) states "green" clown goby gets up to 5"! That's way too big for my nano, IMO.

Thanks for opinions/suggestions.

Sonya

1 - Black sand is not a good idea. Over time it will become dirty and look dirty with all the "white" detrius from fish, corals and the live rock itself. It wont look clean at all.

2 - Any powerhead other than RIO is fine. Maxi jets are the best because of their durability, long life and cheap price

3 - Contrary to popular beleif, I would stear clear of clown gobies. I myself bought a black and green a while back. The black one lived for quite a while, but I think he is now dead. The green one died the same day he was added. They are finiky eaters.

Good luck!

1) bad idea....besides the asthetic issues it also has no buffering capabilities that can cause ph and alk balance issues. Black also absorbs light so your tank may look dimmer. White reflects and will maximize light reflection.

2) MaxiJets are great.....reliable and quiet. I personally like the small Rio's (under 800 model). I've had a few and never had problems.....the large ones suck.

3) I agree with absolutc.....I would stay away...they are finicky and if you do choose to have one wait until your tank is well established and stable. They CAN get to 5" but it's very unlikely they will live that long in captivity.

Cameron

offsprg01

black argonite sand buffers the ph. i have it. i like the way it looks, but it does dimm the tank a little as it does not reflect the light at all. how ever it does look really nice next the the purple and green, red, pink coraline alge on my lr. ( i managed to luck out with an lfs and happend to come in right after a lady a had sold her salt tank back becuase she was moving to cali i thinl? so i go some really nice lr, but i paid a huge price for it. at 10 bones a pound) my little watchman goby show up really nice on the black sand. it does however show up all the nasty crap the fell off of a bad peice of lr i got from a local lfs :x to replace all the critters that my ebo heater boiled : . so long as you have something to constanly turn the sand under i don't think i would get to bad. but the brow/white snad would show less of the nasty crap. all in all i'm happy with my black argonite sand. (not carbi sea i have never used it so i can't say anything about it.)

Thanks for the replys. Sifters will definately be a part of my load. I had another reccommend ispf.com for some nice cultures/criters. Guess I'll be looking up their rep. and products.

Archived