ReefCleaners.org

Container for Water Change Water

Nepthea

Hi everyone!

I bought a 20 gallon container for my water change water storage today. I thought if the water was pre-mixed and ready to go, I'd have no excuse!

Anyway, my question is that the tub smells really bad of new plastic (imagine that??!!). I'm wondering if this off gasing will contaminate the water I'm about to put in it. I've spent a nice chunk on this tank, and the water (got distilled at Walmart..not really a bad deal..58 cents a gallon) to have it all trashed by a $9.00 plastic tub!

If anyone knows if this is safe or not, or if you know what I can do to make it safe, please let me know.

I plan on mixing the salt into it, then always running a heater and PH to keep it ready to go.

Thanks guys!

:D :D

that 'aroma' you smell is the plasticizer in the material. i wouldn't worry about that as much as any possible release agent or grease that made still be on the part. i'd just rinse it out and let it air (not under sunlight tho) out. after a day or so the smell should be gone.

SeaMountain

I thought about that to when I set up my pre-mix tub. A Rubbermaid w/top. But it hasn't caused any troubles. And I do a 1g WC every few days.

After a week or so the tub has no noticeable odor at all except for the water itself. B)

passthegrits

This is a good question. I bought a 30+ gallon rubbermaid roughneck garbage pail to premix and heat water. I went to use the water today and it was quite noticably tinted green (the color of the container). I assume that something from the container was leeching into the water. I'm planning on dumping this batch, but I was wondering if this is something that will subside if I allow the container to soak for a while? Has anyone else used this container with success or failure? Any suggestions for a large, relatively inert mixing pail? Thanks!

that's very unusual, how long did you store the water in the container and where did you store it?

the colorants used in plastics don't leach into whatever it's in contact with. the colors may fade from uv exposure but they don't 'leak' out. ???

Did you put some of the water into a glass container to be sure it just didnt look green in the container? Maybe a green reflection?

DeskJockey

When using rubbermaid containers to pre-mix water you should only use the white & light grey. Those are NSF approved. Im not sure about the dark grey. If in doubt turn the container over and it should have a NSF mark. They must stamp all food approved items with the NSF listing.

Using the black or green can have bad effects with leaching chemicals.

passthegrits

Actually, I only noticed the color change after I had started filling my 37gal. I have white walls and a neutral colored carpet and the green water was very obvious. I had the pail in the garage, and the water was mixing for maybe two weeks. I guess I'll be out looking for a white or light grey rubbermaid container this weekend. Do you all use rubbermaid garbage cans or do you use the storage bins? Maybe I was just in the wrong section of the store to begin with.

don't take this the wrong way, i'm just going over all possibilities and not knowing your exp. the glass has a green tint to it could it have been that?

also, could it have been microalgae that developed during the two weeks?

i wouldn't get the garbage can/containers altho that really shouldn't have made a diff. those party tub containers are good, the ones with the nylon rope handles.

Archived